Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:11 pm

Danno wrote:A 40 quart or larger will handle 5 gallon batches. The rectangular style may have some bed depth probem with 5 gallons of low gravity beers above 48 quart but the round Rubbermaid and square Ice Cubes will be okay.

This is something that I was wondering about too. I have the 48 qt igloo rectangular cooler and was wondering if it will be ok to use for my partial mash stout. My grain bill is only about 5 lbs. I am going to do about a 1.25qt/ per # for my mash. I can use a 5 gallon pot to mash in if I have too, but I was hoping to avoid it. I have a hard time sparging the grains when I use it, so that's why I don't like the pot. I also use an electric stove for cooking it. That is another challenge when brewing. That's a whole different subject.

Prost! :D
I'm not a slacker in society. I'm an over achieving homeless person.

Drunk posting should be reserved for The RAT PAD!!
beer_bear

Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:02 pm

Hey Lufah, does that thermometer ever get in your way? I was thinking of installing one in the mash tun, but I am worried that I will hit it or knock it out of the way when stirring up the grain (Batch Sparger).

Thanks and hey .... nice hat!
http://www.brew365.com
Your Daily Pint of HomeBrewing Knowledge
calvey

Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:42 pm

I have the 48 qt igloo rectangular cooler and was wondering if it will be ok to use for my partial mash stout. My grain bill is only about 5 lbs. I am going to do about a 1.25qt/ per # for my mash. I can use a 5 gallon pot to mash in if I have too, but I was hoping to avoid it.]

Hey Bear; all that about grain bed depth only matters if you fly sparge when lautering. Shape and size of the tun doesn't matter at all for batch sparging because you physically mix the batches to extract the sugars. So if you do a batch sparge (much simpler anyway), no problemo
Norm J

Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:23 am

Here's my ghetto Ag set up.
This is my first batch and a learning experience but fun none the less.
I'm not a slacker in society. I'm an over achieving homeless person.

Drunk posting should be reserved for The RAT PAD!!
beer_bear

Previous

Return to All Grain Brewing