Re: Questionable techniques?

Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:29 am

EJHintz wrote:He suggested to me that I am wasting my time vorlaufing after my mash. He informed me that he just opens the valve on his mash tun and dumps into his kettle without any vorlaufing. It sounded nuts to me.

Anyone have any experience with these techniques?

Since going to batch sparge, I have also reduced my recirc time. I have been just running the vorlauf until I don't see chunks of grain. I haven't noticed any more astringency in my beers than before.
Warren
wrplace

Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:05 pm

Okay, the no recirc and the overnight mash I can see - I know people who mash overnight and they say it does give a really smooth flavor to the deal, but boiling with spent grains? All the "good stuff" is what you just rinsed out. BUt If it's only a handfull, I doubt it is in any amount to lend noticable flavors. So he propably keeps doing it because it doesn't hurt anything. :) The other guys are right, homebrewing awards don;t mean that you can brew good beer. Look at Plise ... Image
Kick Rocks,
MajorJipp
JP
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to All Grain Brewing