Questionable techniques?

Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:26 pm

Hi guys, last week at my brew club meeting I engaged in some light debate regarding a few brewing techniques with a friend of mine. He was a commercial brewer for about 10 years and has won numerous homebrewing competitions and mazur cup's. So his opinions are backed by plenty of experience.

He suggested to me that I am wasting my time vorlaufing after my mash. He informed me that he just opens the valve on his mash tun and dumps into his kettle without any vorlaufing. It sounded nuts to me. He says he also throws a handful of spent grain from his mash into the kettle in order to get enough of the "good stuff" into his fermentation. I can tell you that his beer is outstanding to say the least so there must be something to what he is saying, but I was worried about tannin and lipid extraction from the grain.

Later we had a conversation about overnight mashes. I was worried about pH, tannin extraction, and bacterial growth. He says that overnight mashes are excellent and give the finished a texture that can't be achieved any other way.

I am running a test tomorrow to test his theory's. I am brewing three batches. One using my normal techniques which I believe to be mainstream practice, one with an overnight mash, and one using his technique of no vorlaufing and boiling with a handful of spent grain. I am using a simple recipe of 8 lbs. 2-row and a half ounce of low alpha hops in each recipe with a clean northwestern yeast strain so that any differences will shine through.

Anyone have any experience with these techniques?
EJHintz

Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:03 pm

I don't have any experience that might help you, other than to say I believed as you do.

I will be real interested in your results.
Brewbuddy

Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:13 am

Remember this

Bud/Coors/Millers all have professional brewers....are there beers good?
Thank God All Mighty For Titties and Beer
Ozbrewer

Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:47 am

Ozbrewer wrote:Remember this

Bud/Coors/Millers all have professional brewers....are there beers good?

Define good. Those pro brewers make a cleaner lager than I ever will. I haven't ever tried to make a beer with no taste, but it seems it would be very hard.

This should be a good experiment. Let us know how it goes.

Travis
A very silly place... http://yarnzombie.net/Travis/

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-Dave Barry
Lufah

Re: Questionable techniques?

Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:15 am

EJHintz wrote:... He was a commercial brewer for about 10 years and has won numerous homebrewing competitions and mazur cup's. So his opinions are backed by plenty of experience."

Homebrewing competitions are only as good as the level of judges that they atrratct and have been able to train over multiple years. To say anyone, me included, has a good pallate for judging on the basis of winning HB competitions is weak. I entered a weizen in the OBC's Fall Classic last month and got a blue ribbon...out of two beers! Big deal. My second place RIS out of 20 entries was more impressive to me.

Same thing goes for regional and time frame. ten years ago, many areas of the country only had one brew pub or two and very little craft beer distribution, including style standards, so the competition's entire realm of experience was extremely small.

I cannot know if any of these apply to WI but I know that I respect more recent winners that past winners.
Danno

Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:33 pm

Some people also believe the alignment of the stars makes better beer. :wink:
I hope my post helped in some way. If not, please feel free to contact me.

Jamil Zainasheff
http://www.mrmalty.com

"The yeast is strong within you." K. Zainasheff
jamilz

Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:11 pm

jamilz wrote:Some people also believe the alignment of the stars makes better beer. :wink:

Really? I always thought it was the phases of the moon> :wink:

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:43 am

Shite,

I had it all wrong, I was doing it based on barometric pressure

Dogger
"The immense importance of a pint of ale to a common person should never be overlooked" From the Canon of St Pauls Cathedral
Dogger Dan

Next

Return to All Grain Brewing