Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:48 am

Tasty.

Thanks for the quick response.
I
breyton

Re:

Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:43 pm

TastyMcD wrote:Danny,

I feel that I get a better seal with that extra thickness.
Tasty

Me too!! :pop
Cuda

Re:

Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:22 am

TastyMcD wrote:I feel that I get a better seal with that extra thickness.

That's what she said. :wink:
"Make beer not war"

Currently fermenting: Firestone Walker Pale 31 clone
Conditioning: Nothing
On draught: Nothing

Watch episodes of BYOB TV: http://www.kofytv.com/byob-tv/archive/
BeerPal

Re: Filtering question for Mike McDole

Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:21 am

I'd like to offer an alternative to mike's method.

I too filter basically every single beer I make. I don't use the filter pads though, I use a 10inch household water filter housing and a 1 micron absolute pleated polyester filter cartridge. The original set-up cost is higher than if you use the hexagonal filter and pads.. but the cartridges are washable and good for upwards of 1000L of beer.

In general, I filter directly from my primary fermenter (I don't use a secondary) via gravity through the filter into a keg - but sometimes I will filter from keg to keg, it can be done via gravity, but I usually push it with a bit of C02 pressure.

Here's the filter unit. Note the red button in the top, which allows you to vent any gas that gets trapped in the cartridge.
Image Image Image

I will fill a keg with starsan, then push the startsan out with C02, through the filter. This sanitises the keg, sanitises the filter and purges both the keg and filter of all oxygen. I usually push the starsan into a spare keg... then that one is ready to go for next time and I don't waste the starsan.

Then its attach filter to primary and filter into the keg via gravity - this is not my actual system, I don't have a photo, but it is in nearly every way identical

or occasionally If I have transfered a beer to a corny for aging, I will filter from keg to keg

And of course... the money shot. Results! I add PVPP to the fermentor before filtering and with the 1 micron I get diamond bright beer with no chill haze, every single time. This is Denny Con's Rye IIPA and it was in the primary fermentor 2 days ago. Filtering does much of the work of aging and lagering and gets the beer from grain to brain much more speedily (a week or so will still improve this beer though)

Hope that gives a little more info to any potential filterers out there.

Cheers

Thirsty
Thirsty Boy

Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:01 am

Thirsty Boy,
What model filter is that which you say is washable and reusable? I got that filter kit from morebeer.com but it uses spun polypropylene filters which are non-washable and only good for one 'session'. Granted they are $3 but a washable one sounds nice.
saq

Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:15 pm

I don't have a brand name for you - sorry

But descriptively it is a

1 micron absolute
Pleated polyester
Washable filter

You can get cheaper ones - but they are made of thinner almost paper like stuff and aren't robust enough for multiple use.

Water filtration places will usually have them. Make sure you get good quality (usually American made in this case) filters and make sure its an absolute rating on the microns. Mine Cost about $65 Australian dollars - it will no doubt be stupidly less expensive in the US.

I use 8mm (5/16") John Guest pushfit gas and liquid connectors to deal with all the tubing - they are much much easier than barbs, clamps, nuts and tails etc etc

Cheers

Thirsty
Thirsty Boy

filtering with additives

Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:28 pm

I've used the same hexagonal filter Mike has and I've had good luck with it. I actually had incredible results the first time I used it; I had tossed some Sparkolloid into a beer and got tired of waiting for it to completely settle out. Meanwhile, I had bought the filter from B3 and it comes with the 'coarse' pads included, and the shop was out of the 'polish' pads. But (and I read this somewhere now I forget) it appears that the Sparkolloid still in suspension helped plug the inherent porosity of the coarse filter to some degree. The process wasn't fast by any means...but the beer came out crystal clear and brown. (well it was a Special Bitter :) )
Call me the Kunta Kinte of brewing! -J. Zainasheff
MattSF

Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:11 pm

Thirsty Boy when you clean your filter how do you go about getting it completely clean and sanitized for next use. It seams to me that it would be difficult to get all of the yeast and proteins completely out of the filter.
BrewerJ

PreviousNext

Return to All Grain Brewing