It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 322 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: How to go from Extract to AG for < $10.00
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:32 am 

amcn wrote:
However I have to ask, has anyone tried the bag method in traditional mashing, ie lining the tun and using a finer grind and even batch-sparging it etc? Can this improve mash efficiency?

A few guys have tried it over here amcn. The reports I get or have read say that it works fine with batch-sparging which makes sense to me. It also makes cleaning the tun out a fair bit easier which is always good!

I imagine it would work very well with fly-sparging as well as the drain, if you have the right material, is quite gentle.

Cheers,
Pat

Post subject: Buying or Making a BIAB Bag
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:19 am 

For those having difficulty sourcing the correct polyester (voille) for their BIAB bag or just couldn't be bothered sewing, I did a design about six months ago and have supplied it (free of charge etc) to my local retailer over here, [url="http://www.gryphonbrewing.com.au/store/product_info.php?cPath=61&products_id=341"]GryphonBrewing[/url] (Superfly, it is almost identical to your design without the hoop, so good on you!!!)

This design is what I now use and is the best I have been able to come up with especially to suit a wide range of kettles. It works very well. Making it yourself is a bit of a PITA and quite time-consuming so buying would probably be the better option if wanting to use this design. I imagine the postage to US would be pretty cheap and I think he only does PayPal but his is the cage to rattle if you want to buy one. (I'll keep hastling him to make his site more internationally-friendly :) )

For those who have the right material and want to make their own bag, their are a few very easy designs - just tried to post them here but can't work out how to do it sorry - I will post them up on [url="http://biabrewer.info/Home_Page.html"]BIABrewer.info[/url] within the next few weeks. They will be under the FAQs page and will post here when they are published.*

Cheers,
Pat

* ThirstyBoy sent me a great draft for the BIABrewer FAQS a few months ago but, old woman that I am, I keep fussing over them :roll: Anyway, they are coming soon. (Ah, my old girlfriend used to say that too!) I am on the final draft which involves converting a lot of metric stuff for you guys and your crazy size equipment! Don't say us Aussies aren't good to you :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:53 pm 

Just wanted to post some pics of another BIAB brewer's brew set-up. (Pants from Aussiehomebrewer)

He proves that our original concerns that BIAB is only suitable if you want to brew 5G batches - are overly cautious.

He is brewing batches with 15-20G pre-boil volumes!! Finishing I presume with 10-15G of beer. He does need a reasonably robust pulley system though.

I'll let his pictures do the rest of the talking. TB.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:06 pm 

I like it.

I'm just waiting for cooler weather before I brew my next batch. Start at 100F then add 30,000 BTUs for a few hours and even the homebrew stops cooling you off.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:40 pm 

Ive done two wheat batches (12 gal) with the grain bill at 24.5lbs no problems with the bag....though you do need a pulley....
I lift the bag out with the pulley (after draining and squeezing) ,and then lift it high enough to put a lid on my pot
& lower the bag onto a container resting on top of my pot for removal...I plan on 30lbs soon...My pot is a Morebeer 26Gal Megapot
with a SS wire rack on the bottom...I also apply heat to the pot with bag in with no problems so far...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:46 am 

Worked my way through this whole thread!

I am planning on trying this soom with smaller 2-3 gallon batches. Mainly to try and shorten my brew day as much as I can.

I was hoping to get the voile on line. I think I have found what I need. Is the material in the link what I am looking for?

http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/sheer- ... abric-.htm

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:36 am 

That Looks to be it jhollist

I got mine at Hobby Lobby for cheap if you have one of those around.... Use Poly thread also....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:18 am 

Great!

Here's another question. As I have no easy access to a sewing machine (or someone to sew it), I had planned on just making a giant circle of voile (radius equal to 1.5*height + kettle radius). That should give me enough material to line the kettle, have some extra over the top of the kettle, and then gather and tie a knot to pull and drain the bag. Has anyone tried this type of simple "bag"?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 322 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 41  Next