Re: How to go from Extract to AG for < $10.00

Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:53 pm

Sakaibrew wrote:my AG setup is BIAB and I haven't had any problems like this. I can hit a 70 efficiency on most of my brewday unless I am just really not paying attention. Try rinsing your grain bag with some water around 170F to rinse some of the sugars out of those close contact grains. Really helped me reach my correct boil volume. I'm also pretty sure that wearing :nutters: in below freezing temperatures has also helped my mash efficiency. :P

:jnj -Sak

It's funny that you mention this since I was wearing :nutters: at -12C while doing part of the brewing! :jnj

Does any of you check the PH of the mash? Since I added my own salts to RO water, I am wondering if the PH might have been too high.
virtualpaul

Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:25 am

I had to join this forum, just because of this thread, I am sure I will find other useful info, but not only is there great information here, but this thread has been going for 7 years!! That is awesome!!

I do have a question for you BIAB brewers, should the bag be squeezed to get all the water out or will this have an impact on tannin release from the grist?
AnimalHouseBrewery

Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:38 pm

AnimalHouseBrewery wrote:I had to join this forum, just because of this thread, I am sure I will find other useful info, but not only is there great information here, but this thread has been going for 7 years!! That is awesome!!

I do have a question for you BIAB brewers, should the bag be squeezed to get all the water out or will this have an impact on tannin release from the grist?

Welcome! Head on over to the new user section and introduce yourself!
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:03 am

AnimalHouseBrewery wrote:I had to join this forum, just because of this thread, I am sure I will find other useful info, but not only is there great information here, but this thread has been going for 7 years!! That is awesome!!

Squeeze away! Tannin extraction has much more to do with the PH of the mash (>5.6 starts to extract tannins) than squeezing the grain.

Newer commercial breweries, such as Cooper's, have "mash filters" that perform wort extraction by pressure with no worries.

Michael
Datamike

Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:10 am

If you're gonna squeeze your sack, just be loving and gentle. :unicornrainbow:
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:08 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:If you're gonna squeeze your sack, just be loving and gentle. :unicornrainbow:

...and make sure you're wearing your :nutters: !
Alan Marks
alan_marks

Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:13 pm

seriously a ruptured sack just makes a mess out of brewday, and gets you strange looks in the ER :asshat:
Bottled: fresh hop pale ale
On tap: Moose bile strong ale
In the cellar: Taqu'il's Fat Black Imperial Stout
Lagering:
In the fermenter: Moose drool clone
In the works: Taqu'il's Fat Black Imperial stout
PorkSlapper

Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:31 am

PorkSlapper wrote:seriously a ruptured sack just makes a mess out of brewday, and gets you strange looks in the ER :asshat:

That's not a happy ending at all! :shock:
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to All Grain Brewing