Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:26 am

WTF is wrong with knitting?

Travis
A very silly place... http://yarnzombie.net/Travis/

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-Dave Barry
Lufah

Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:05 am

AGiseasy... Just because "that's how it's always been done" or "that's the way all the pro's do it" are not valid reasons to avoid trying something new. Actually it gives me more incentive to try it. Hell if we listened to all the pros we would still be watching movies without sound and some jerkoff with a piano playing the sound track. Homebrewing is all about trying new things... Think of where we would be without IIPA's or HefeCider?
BUB
Lunch Meet "Limpian" Gold Medalist (x2) 2006
Winner of <b>NO PANTS</b> award 2006 and 2007
Make your own beer website... starting at $10 per YEAR.
www.bubweb.com & www.momenttoponder.com
bub
Global Moderator

Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:17 am

Knitting and brewing are mutually exclusive??? I was unaware !!

Pistol Patch is a top bloke who is the main man when it comes to BIAB on the AHB forum. He wrote the How to Guide, he did a lot of the testing and has been involved in probably most of the side by sides that have been done to make sure that we weren't kidding ourselves when we thought this method produced good beer.

He also consistently forgets to credit himself when he is handing out the praise to other people.

The fact that PP and I both support/promote BIAB but that we also disagree on a number of points, shows that this method is just like most of brewing. There is a fair bit of room for personal method, and that will effect your results. You have to read the arguments, decide on your process, and nail down what works for you. PP gets an increase in efficiency from batch sparged brews, whereas I either stay the same or drop a little. I mashout and think its important, PP doesnt... BFD, name 2 brewers who do everything exactly the same way.

Hopefully BIAB encourage a few US extract brewers to make the change to AG who otherwise wouldn't have, then there will be more data, more variation and no doubt more disagreement. That would be cool.

agISeasy... whether you decide to use a 3 vessel system or whether you choose to try BIAB. I like options and I think that providing them for people is a good thing. Even.... and I know this might be controversial.... but even for those people who choose to construct their own garments from woolen yarn using thin pointy sticks

TB
Thirsty Boy

Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:10 pm

I wonder if using this method for batch sparging (dipping the "tea bag" twice in half you volume of water and then combining the 2) would produce higher efficiency than the Denny method of batch sparging.

This seems interesting. I currently use Denny's method. I might have to try this now.
bubba

Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:41 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
You said Tea Bag.

BUB teabags Code Image
BUB
Lunch Meet "Limpian" Gold Medalist (x2) 2006
Winner of <b>NO PANTS</b> award 2006 and 2007
Make your own beer website... starting at $10 per YEAR.
www.bubweb.com & www.momenttoponder.com
bub
Global Moderator

Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:15 pm

OMG!! BUB that avitar is awsome. Nice bagging.
I'm not a slacker in society. I'm an over achieving homeless person.

Drunk posting should be reserved for The RAT PAD!!
beer_bear

Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:31 am

What happens to your mash PH if you're mashing with the full volume of water? You're mashing with 35L water, whereas this would normally be half this amount. Would your PH not end up pretty high (say above 6.0), and extract phenolic and tannin compounds from the grain husks - particularly in paler styles?
Insight

Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:46 am

agiseasy wrote:I brew in australia and these guys do not talk for whats going on in 'current trends' for brewing. Everyone starts out on kits, and it is not rocket science to go from kits to AG within a few months. I see no need to dumb it down, costs are not expensive to go to AG and if your so scared that you need to use a bag then another tun then go take up knitting. Keep brewing the tried and true way that has been done for so long. How many Micro's do you see brewing with a bag???

Oi my cup of tea is brewed in a bag
Dont dis the bag :evil:
awalker

PreviousNext

Return to All Grain Brewing