Re: How to go from Extract to AG for < $10.00

Mon May 17, 2010 2:48 pm

Yeah - you get more kettle trub in BIAB. Its simply a fact that more solid matter makes it into the kettle. There are gives and takes with everything and unfortunately higher losses to trub is one of the takes in BIAB.

Most people just calculate for losing an extra litre or two of wort to trub - if you don't, also try using a hop sock for our hops. It doesn't reduce the trub from the BIAB process itself, but it does cut down on the total amount of stuff left in the bottom of the kettle.

I often save my kettle trub for starters - I will pour the kettle leftovers into a big funnel and filter it through a dishtowel or something. Clean wort gets diluted down to 1.040 and then frozen. Thaw and re-boil when you need wort for a starter.

TB
Thirsty Boy

Mon May 17, 2010 5:53 pm

I've been reading about BIAB and really want to make the jump to AG with this method. I make half batches (2.5gal) in a 5gal kettle and I'm curious about proper kettle size. Thirsty said that he used a 4.2gal pot for a 2.5gal brew early in the thread (2nd page) but a link (http://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/06/20 ... ng-method/) that was provided essentially says otherwise. The link says a 15gal pot is needed for a 5gal brew. Assuming that things scale linearly, a 7.5gal pot is needed for a 2.5gal brew. Follow me?

So my question is, who's right? Does anyone have any more experience doing half batches of BIAB in a 5gal kettle? Is it possible and/or what is the limit on the size of grain bill?
BrickBrewHaus

Mon May 17, 2010 7:04 pm

Well there are a couple things you have to look at. Remember your pot will have to handle all of your grain and water at the same time, not just for the boil. As for water you'll be using .65-.69 gal/lb ratio. With a 7.5 gal pot you'll only want to have 7 or less in there and then you're looking at most 10 pounds of grain. Will you ever want to do more that half batches or will any of your batcher have more than 10 lbs of grain, than you might want to go with the larger pot. Another thing is that you'll have a lot more trub than was in your extract batches and even more than normal all grain brewing, when I brew I have had about 1/4-1/8 of my batch being trub. Thats something I have to work on reducing but its something more to look at. I brew 5 gal batches and have to scale them up to around 6.5 just make sure I dont have to get into the trub when siphoning. I got a 15 gal pot and glad I did. Its nice and thick and holds temp well. hopefully all my input will help you decide.
ryan0914

Tue May 18, 2010 1:11 pm

This is an easy one - the spreadsheet that I linked to and the more recent version that Jimmysuperlative linked to - will tell you exactly what volumes and pot sizes you will need for various sized batches.

The brewers friend link is overly pessimistic about the sized pot you need - Use the spreadsheet - to need a 15G (60L) pot for 19L (5.0G) of packaged beer, you would be looking at a brew using 22kg (48.5lb) of grain. And thats gonna be a pretty damn big beer!! Way more than 1.1 OG at the worst imaginable efficiency.

Basically though - you can use a rule of thumb. If you want to do the simple, no sparge, nice and easy version of BIAB - then the minimum pot size you will need to be able to brew a wide range of beers and gravities, will be a bit more than twice your desired fermenter volume.

So you want to brew 2.5G batches - then you will need a 5G pot. 5G batches - 10G pot. etc etc

You will still have a little trouble trying to brew bigger beers and I suggest a bigger pot than the minimum, but for most beers that rule of thumb is fairly OK. Mind you - I think that the 15G pot is in fact the perfect size for a 5G brewer. It give you lots of space and room to brew anything you want & as a bonus, its big enough to squeeze a 10G batch out of without having to much about with high gravity brewing etc. But its the optimum size IMHO, certainly not the minimum.

So - twice as big as the amount of wort you want to put in your fermenter and you will be OK, but about 50% bigger than that is optimum.

I've brewed dozens of BIAB brews - in everything from 1G to 15G batch sizes. This is my opinion based on the things I have learned doing those brews.

Oh - and for all things BIAB. Check out the New BIABrewer.info forum. Its been set up by the estimable Pistol Patch. Who is not only the principle (he would get mad if I said only) inventor and promoter of BIAB, but has worked his arse off to make sure that there are resources and information all over the place for new BIAB (and AG in general) brewers. If you happen to be in Australia in October.. you can catch him at the Australian National Homebrewers Conference where he is presenting on the topic of BIAB.

In the meantime check out his forum and you should find the answers to pretty much all of your BIAB questions.

http://www.biabrewer.info/

Cheers

Thirsty

PS - Pistol and I don't agree with everything to do with BIAB... where there are discrepancies you can assume I am right and he is a silly bugger who drinks too much and doesn't sleep enough. Or perhaps visa versa.. you decide.
Thirsty Boy

Wed May 19, 2010 5:44 pm

Thanks guys. I took a look at the spreadsheet on BIABinfo and seems like I should be able to do my half batches. Once I get my feet wet with BIAB I'll get a better feel for max. grain bills.

I agree with Thirsty, a bigger (7.5gal) pot would be ideal for half batches. Maybe I can beg Santa Clause (aka my wife) for one this year :lol: .
BrickBrewHaus

Wed May 19, 2010 5:49 pm

BrickBrewHaus wrote: Maybe I can beg Santa Clause (aka my wife) for one this year :lol: .

Beg her for other favours and just buy the pot.
Sapper BN Army

Primary - Empty
#1 Brown Porter
#2 Empty
#3 Home made malt beer
#4 Empty
#5 Dortmunder Export
#6 Helles Bock
#7 Empty
Scotty BCS Kolsch
Hoppy Mad

Wed May 19, 2010 9:25 pm

ryan0914

Definitely more trub. I've started to recirculate while mashing and this has helped a lot. I still use a single vessel and direct fire when I need to raise my temps.

Before I had a pump I did a few batches that used an extra paint strainer bag stretched over my bucket. It trapped a lot of the trub. With recirculating I don't need the bag any more. I get fairly clear wort into the fermenter.
BigJoe

Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:35 am

Any thoughts on if a hand crank coffee grinder like this:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Heavy-Duty-Cast-Iron ... 335d8fcbdf

Would do a good job for BIAB?
tothemiller

PreviousNext

Return to All Grain Brewing