Re: How to go from Extract to AG for < $10.00

Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:49 am

Hop wrote:I still use BeerSmith for BIAB. I've just been making minor adjustments to my equipment and other settings in it so I can dial it in.

I do a number of things differently from the suggestions. For example, I don't put my entire boil volume in during the mash. I actually lift my bag up above my kettle in a basket (then put that basket on a couple planks of aluminum-covered wood) and sparge it with at least 2-3 gallons of water--my mash volume is generally ~4 gallons, and the grains still retain about 0.5 quarts per pound of grain, so the calculations aren't tough.

If you're off on your boil volume, adding sugar is not the way to go about fixing it. Instead, you should add water (use something to measure your volume... I use a yard stick and I made a spreadsheet to calculate volume based on cm).

The more important thing to get right is gravity, not volume.

If your gravity is higher than expected, add water to get the right gravity (BeerSmith has a Dilution Tool to do this quickly).

If your gravity is lower than expected, you'll need to adjust it by either boiling off more water or by adding some extract (I have some organic light dry malt extract that I use for yeast starters, and I sometimes use that to adjust my gravity up. I'm more likely to just boil extra water off, though).

The main thing to make sure to adjust on-the-fly if you're dealing with different volume or gravity is hops, because it will be utilized more with more volume and less with more gravity.

OOPS! Funny how one word can screw the entre post. I meant to say my pre-boil GRAVITY was way way low so I upped the amount of sugar. The recipe had called for 3 lbs and I had bought 2- 2lbs bags so I added them both instead of just 1.5 bags.
mmm, Brettanomyces
TheBlack77

Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:52 am

Thirsty Boy wrote:http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ar51P4gKYE7wdHJnV1UxZS1kVkZEV19iUFF0U3lZUHc&hl=en

Have fun

Thirsty

Thanks Thirsty, i'll see if I can play with that spreadsheet. Guess I can try and convert my numbers to metric to plug them in.
mmm, Brettanomyces
TheBlack77

Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:33 pm

[/quote]
I have a (cheap) pH electric meter. My tap water is around 8.2pH. But the mash mostly drops down to 5.6pH, so i presumed this was fine. But this can be surely be a part of it. Astringent taste can be a covering term of the taste, and i see http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html points this taste to a pH problem in the mash.
[/quote]

5.6 is too high. I've had poor results with BIAB with that sort of PH. Use acid malt or lactic acid and get it down to 5.2-5.4. My experience is that PH strips arent very accurate either. A PH meter is the way to go. I also avoid the 5.2 stabiliser. Something about the liquor to grist ratio and/or alkaline water really doesnt work. Actually is messes up the PH big time
Eamonn

Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:26 am

Eamonn wrote:5.6 is too high. I've had poor results with BIAB with that sort of PH. Use acid malt or lactic acid and get it down to 5.2-5.4. My experience is that PH strips arent very accurate either. A PH meter is the way to go. I also avoid the 5.2 stabiliser. Something about the liquor to grist ratio and/or alkaline water really doesnt work. Actually is messes up the PH big time

Last time i brewed i used citric acid powder to get the ph down to 5.2. Brewed a belgian double. It do taste better i guess, but it needs to mature a month before i really can taste it.

Is citric acid powder an okay ph down adjuster? If not, what is recommended ph down ingridients besides acid malt and lactic acid. And do i understand you right that 5.2 stabilzer works bad for BIAB, or just not recommended at all? I have bought 1 lb of the stuff so would like to try it today..
staldor

Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:14 pm

TheBlack77 wrote:any calculators out there specifically for BIAB? I have just been using my brewpal app on my iphone to give me my starting water volume. My efficiency has been fine until this last beer I made. I brewed the Belgian Strong Golden from Brewing Classic Styles and my pre-boil volume was waaaaaaaaaaaay low compared the recipe. Now I didn't measure the pre-boil volume, but ended up adding an extra pound of sugar to offset it (I had a buzz and made an executive decision). Then my OG ended up like 17 points higher than was expected. It got so many bugs and critters added though that i'm not too worried about it...

Just wondering what calculators you other BIABers are using.

The latest spreadsheet on BIAB water volumes etc can be found here. This one not only does water volumes but can adjust grain bills, hops as well as showing your different efficiencies.

Edit: linky
Last edited by jimmysuperlative on Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bag it, man ... -Jesus Rodriguez
jimmysuperlative

Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:54 pm

jimmysuperlative wrote:The latest spreadsheet on BIAB water volumes etc can be found here. This one not only does water volumes but can adjust grain bills, hops as well as showing your different efficiencies.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Im a member and I still cant Download this spreadsheet
dazed

Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:49 pm

dazed wrote:
jimmysuperlative wrote:The latest spreadsheet on BIAB water volumes etc can be found here. This one not only does water volumes but can adjust grain bills, hops as well as showing your different efficiencies.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Im a member and I still cant Download this spreadsheet

Whoops... try here

..and you do need to be "fully" registered to download the file. Start here.
Bag it, man ... -Jesus Rodriguez
jimmysuperlative

Sun May 16, 2010 5:32 pm

so does anyone else have a problem with excessive trub with their BIAB, and if so what are people doing to deal with this and keeping it to a minimum.
ryan0914

PreviousNext

Return to All Grain Brewing