Re: How to go from Extract to AG for < $10.00

Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:19 pm

That's exactly the right stuff jhotlist. Good on you for finding that link :wink:

Good luck!
I'm not as think as you drunk I am.
PistolPatch

Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:39 am

jhollist wrote:Great!

I had planned on just making a giant circle of voile (radius equal to 1.5*height + kettle radius). That should give me enough material to line the kettle, have some extra over the top of the kettle, and then gather and tie a knot to pull and drain the bag. Has anyone tried this type of simple "bag"?

I haven't tried this, but from my experience this ought to work out, just pay attention to the grains that get caught in the folds and that the water circulates well. You don't want any dough balls or hot spots in the folds.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure. czech proverb

Check out my Brew Log blog
cmattbrew

Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:12 pm

jhollist wrote:Great!

Here's another question. As I have no easy access to a sewing machine (or someone to sew it), I had planned on just making a giant circle of voile (radius equal to 1.5*height + kettle radius). That should give me enough material to line the kettle, have some extra over the top of the kettle, and then gather and tie a knot to pull and drain the bag. Has anyone tried this type of simple "bag"?

Yep - works fine

You just have to be careful not to let any of the folds drop and spill grain into your kettle. Which is what I used to regularly do.. I sewed a drawstring.

Having used this sort of bag and a properly sewn one.. the properly sewn one is easier to use and clean. So while I say go for it... keep an eye out for someone to sew you up a bag. The local drycleaner probably does alterations etc and would whip you up one for a few bucks.

TB
Thirsty Boy

Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:15 pm

Just an update.

I did find someone to sew up a drawsting for the bag. White voile and black thread has it looking lingerie like.

In any event, I brewed two batches with it in one day, an American Brown and an Oatmeal Stout. The brown is quite tasty, but the oatmeal stout I had some attenuation problems and I am not very happy with it. I attribute that to using an unfamiliar yeast and not at all to BIAB. I was actually quite pleased with the simplicity and even with it being my first go it took my ~ 4 hours as opposed to my nomral ~6. Mission accomplished!

For some pics of the day check out: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhollist/s ... 501168578/

Thanks for the advice. I plan on using BIAB quite a bit more.

cheers,
Jhollist
jhollist

Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:54 pm

Apologies for not reading all 24 pages of this thread, but this is a nice experimental technique that I really want to try. Is there an updated set of instructions for what you need. Specifically, links to an online resource for the required bag would be great.

I've done mini-mashes with 24x24 bags and they worked quite well, so this doesn't seem to be a stretch.
Hop the Mad Alchemist
Member of the BN Army
Hop

Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:09 pm

ryan0914

Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:52 pm

I don't have a bag either, just a big piece of voile that I drape over the edge of the kettle and hold it in place with a big rubber band. I have done several batches like this with only one problem. When I do ten gallon batches it is hard to hold the bag up while it drains. I'm trying something new this weekend. I cut two pieces of plywood big enough to sit on the kettle and cut a hole in each just a little smaller than the opening of the kettle. The plan is to drape the fabric over the first piece and then clamp the second piece over it. Then I should be able to suspend it from the clamps since I don't have a drawstring. If it works I will post some pics. By the way, biab has given me the most consistent results since I started brewing, I love the technique.
Private first class
leftnut

Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:24 pm

i stitched up my bag and put seam strips on the edges to beef them up,I then put some loops on the top with the same backing material. im going to run some parachute cord through them and same to hang it with. so hopefully mine will work. hoping i can get pretty good efficiencies from it. I'll have to put up some pics of my setup and everything. well good luck
-Ryan
ryan0914

PreviousNext

Return to All Grain Brewing