Re: How to go from Extract to AG for < $10.00

Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:58 pm

For BIAB - fine. Maybe open it up so its not spitting out pure flour, but apart from that, no problems at all.

However - it wont be as great an option for brewing should you ever decide to move to a mash tun based system, so if you are looking at BIAB as a "step" rather than an end point... well, it'll be good for grinding coffee.

Still, its only 23 bucks so not too giant a call to make.

TB
Thirsty Boy

Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:41 pm

Just to make sure I am clear in reading a recipe correctly (sorry I'm new!!)

http://brewwiki.com/index.php/An_American_Ale

I would use a total of 6.82 gallons of water?

thx
tothemiller

Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:15 pm

tothemiller wrote:Just to make sure I am clear in reading a recipe correctly (sorry I'm new!!)

http://brewwiki.com/index.php/An_American_Ale

I would use a total of 6.82 gallons of water?

thx

Close - thats the volume you start your boil with... there is one other place you will lose liqud before then. To absorption by the spent grain. In BIAB you will lose about 0.65L of your water to every kg of grain you put into the mash. That recipe uses 8lb of grain - which equals 3.63kg - so you will lose around 2.4L. That equals about 0.63G so you need to start with 6.82+0.63=7.45G to end up with 6.82 in the kettle at the start of your boil.

Also, the temperture you heat your water to will not be the same as the recipe - you have a lot more water compared to grain with BIAB, so it doesn't need to be so hot. Put the whole 7.45 in at right at the start - heat the water up to about 2°C above the tmperature you want to mash in at, mix in your grain.

That recipe says to mash at 158F (70C) which is too hot as far as I am concerned - I suggest you go for 155F (68C) - so heat your water up to 70°C - when you put in your grain, that will cool it down to about 68C. If you aim a little low - you can easily fix it up by turning your burner on a bit and stirring till you get to the right temperature. You must stir if you have the heat turned on... must.

Have fun

TB
Thirsty Boy

Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:31 pm

Thanks - really appreciate the help!
tothemiller

Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:18 am

Well........what happened? Has every biab brewer succumbed to the poisons of their creations? Does anybody still do this? And more importantly, does it really work? You know just like "real" brewing

Curiously Intriqued,
MojoBrew
MojoBrew

Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:23 am

After reading this topic last fall I thought I would add my 2 cent's. Last fall my wife made me a bag that my 8 gallon pot fit into. The first batch I brewed was a black IPA. As all 3 of the brews i have done with this meted I added 5 gallons of water to my pot, brought it up to temp. according to beer smith and dough in and adjust the temp every 15 min, the last 2 try's I have only had to at the 45 min. mark. On the black IPA I hit 67 percent efficiency. The 2nd brew was a oatmeal stout I did for a club demo and got a 74 percent efficiency. This week I brewed a dry stout In witch I got a new malt mill and ground all the malts with a mill setting of.030 and got 84 percent efficiency, I am very happy with all the results I have gotten. and will continue using this BIAB because it really shortens the brew day. Just have not been brave enough to try it on pale beers but I will soon. Oh buy the way after I raise the bag to drain I add additional water to bring the pot up to 6.5 gal to do a full boil. Also thanks to every one that has posted on this it has brought to light a fun easy meted to make all grain beer. I know a couple of club members a getting ready to give it a try. :jnj
FSUplumber

Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:44 pm

Well........what happened? Has every biab brewer succumbed to the poisons of their creations? Does anybody still do this? And more importantly, does it really work? You know just like "real" brewing

Curiously Intriqued,
MojoBrew

Of course people are still doing it - the thing is its become popular enough so that this sort of "introductory" thread is less necessary - and because I wrote it when BIAB was still a pretty local Australian phenomenon, I didn't use BIAB in the title, so now people who go looking for it tend to skip past this thread

might even ask the Mods if I can change the thread title to include the acronym.

After reading this topic last fall I thought I would add my 2 cent's. Last fall my wife made me a bag that my 8 gallon pot fit into. The first batch I brewed was a black IPA. As all 3 of the brews i have done with this meted I added 5 gallons of water to my pot, brought it up to temp. according to beer smith and dough in and adjust the temp every 15 min, the last 2 try's I have only had to at the 45 min. mark. On the black IPA I hit 67 percent efficiency. The 2nd brew was a oatmeal stout I did for a club demo and got a 74 percent efficiency. This week I brewed a dry stout In witch I got a new malt mill and ground all the malts with a mill setting of.030 and got 84 percent efficiency, I am very happy with all the results I have gotten. and will continue using this BIAB because it really shortens the brew day. Just have not been brave enough to try it on pale beers but I will soon. Oh buy the way after I raise the bag to drain I add additional water to bring the pot up to 6.5 gal to do a full boil. Also thanks to every one that has posted on this it has brought to light a fun easy meted to make all grain beer. I know a couple of club members a getting ready to give it a try. :jnj

Dont be afraid of pale beers with BIAB - they work perfectly well. I have a kolsch sitting in my no-chill cube waiting for me to ferment it that was a BIAB beer and I have made a number of pale lagers with BIAB. All fine beers no better or worse than they would have been if I had made them on my RIMS.

If you are topping up your kettle... try pouring the water over the BIAB bag as a kind of a sparge. It wont work all that well, but it will rinse some sugars out and bump your efficiency a little. I normally dot recommend that people sparge with BIAB - its an added step that really doesn't pay the effort back with much reward. BUT - you are adding the water anyway so you might as well do it via the grain and get a little extra bang for your buck.

The way you do it is a nice way to be able to do BIAB if your pot is a little smaller than ideal - there are a number of guys around who are taking it even further and doing their batches at quite high gravity in stovetop sized (5G) pots. and diluting at several steps. Pre-boil, post boil, into the fermenter. Similarly to the way an extract brewer would. Its not ideal and not what I suggest people do - but it is definitely possible and capable of making good beer.

No way to heat up large amounts of water to sparge/dilute?? - no problem. You can do it with hot tap water or even with cold water. Both work perfectly well - you will be quite surprised at how well cold water works for sparging. It does cool your wort down and heating to a boil takes longer - but there are no quality issues and it keeps the requirements for pots and heat sources down to the optimal BIAB number of just one.

TB

PS - I would like to rudely cross promote another board. One that is dedicated to BIAB brewing. If anyone thinks its unsuitable for me to do that here, just let me know and I will remove this bit.

Try looking at www.biabrewer.info if you are interested in this type of brewing. Then bring what you learn back to the BN and share the wealth.
Thirsty Boy

Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:55 pm

Ok, read through most of this thread. Now I need to find the best links to bag material and also the best designs for these fantastic biab bags. I have a great seamstress/mistress who owes me some favors and will help me with my bag (Insert joke here lol!)

But I feel ready for this brewing adventure. Over one and a half years brewing I've done 40+ brews (almost 30 with my AG mash tun) and I am pumped to cut my brewday down a bit. I love brewing, but 6-8 hours is tough to fit in the schedule sometimes.

So thanks again for the help in advance!

Cheers
MojoBrew

PreviousNext

Return to All Grain Brewing