Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:54 am

Any of you fellas UP THERE>>>tried the BIAB yet.?
PJ
Who needs Kegs or Bottles...Straight from the Fermenter...IS THE GO..
poppa joe

Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:11 am

poppa joe wrote:Any of you fellas UP THERE>>>tried the BIAB yet.?
PJ

I am still trying to find some Voille. I tried one fabric shop and they had it, but only had a yard left in stock. Ill try another shop and get some soon, I want to try it with a London Porter that is next in my schedule. I have to modify my keg to take out the thermo probe so it won't poke the bag.
GooberMcNutly

Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:07 am

GooberMcNutly wrote:
poppa joe wrote:Any of you fellas UP THERE>>>tried the BIAB yet.?
PJ

I am still trying to find some Voille. I tried one fabric shop and they had it, but only had a yard left in stock. Ill try another shop and get some soon, I want to try it with a London Porter that is next in my schedule. I have to modify my keg to take out the thermo probe so it won't poke the bag.

Ahh thats one of the beauties of it Goober. You wont need that probe. Only 2 pemperatures to take in the whole process... strike water temp and cooled wort temp.

I didn' think that there would be any trouble with finding the voile... its a really common curtain material. In a pinch, any 100% tight weave polyester would do I suppose; and even the plain cotton you were talking about. Like I said, the only problem I could see with cotton would be the durablility over multiple brews. I'd make sure all the seams were triple stitched though.

I know that at least one person has semi sucessfully used a plain cotton bag (pillow slip I think) I think the only trouble they had was that the bag was too small and didn't "line" their kettle, they got poor conversion and lousy efficiency. But I dont think that the bag material itself was the problem.

Good luck

Thirsty
Thirsty Boy

Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:58 pm

OK all you poser 'tards, I put my money where my mouth is. I found some 100% polyester super tight weave and heavy duty fabric at Wal-Mart. I asked for voille, but the battleaxe that cuts fabric looked at me like I was a window licker and might start eating frogs right there in the store. So I found what I needed by assuming: 100% polyester (no absorbtion in the fabric and no strange flavors), strong and no color or surface finish. What I got was like wedding dress material and heavy. 2 yards set me back about $10. Oh, and some heavy rope cost me $5 but I still have 35 feet left. I sewed it up with blind rolled seams and used 100% polyester upoholstery thread. That stuff is tough!

Saturday I brewed a London Porter in a bag. I have pics.

My daughter models the bag. She is wearing no pants, which is why she isn't in any of the other pics, you pervs.

Random crap:

You think you guys have a nice system, check out this. The bag will actually go about 1/3 of the way down the outside before it comes off the bottom of the keg.

First, I made a big rootbeer soda. (Nah, that's mash)

Done mashing, ready to sparge:

Holy crap, that is heavy. Now, the material that I chose is very tight weave. You can breathe through it, but it would not be easy. And when it is wet, the water runs even more slowly. I forgot to mash out, so I pulled the bag on 154 degree wort instead of heating to 165 first.

I had to rig a "bag lifter". There WAS friggin' in the riggin'.
(My 3 year old daughter took that pic.) I kind of lifted the bag a little at a time, let the wort run down a bit and lift it a little more. It still took 20-25 minutes to "sparge". But I was heating the kettle the whole time (bag completely clear of the water so it wouldn't overheat) so I boiled about 5 minutes after finishing the sparge. Next time I am using a pulley to lift the bag.

If you lift the bag too fast, some of the wort runs down the side of your keg. And burns and gets stickey under foot. Mmmm, burned sugar smells.

Boil, immersion chill, ice batch chill while oxygenating and pitch. Mmm, mmm, good:

Well, here is how it worked out. Efficiency: high. I missed my pre-boil gravity by 4 points, but I had 1 gallon too much water. (I had to add extra water when mashing as my temps skyrocketed as I was heating. Next time I think that Ill get the water to about 156 and just put in the bag with the grain. I had put in the grain at about 150, so I could stir and adjust temps, but the temps were very different near the bottom vs near the top, even with stirring. I haven't done the math yet, but I expect about 80% efficiency as the recipe was set up at 75%.

Time was about 1 to 2 hours less than the average brew day. I mashed for a solid 90 minutes, probably more like 110 minutes by the time I got it all "sparged" out. But cleanup was much easier. Just took the bag to the garden and dumped it on the blueberries for mulch after it cooled. Only cleaning 1 pot was really nice too. Of course, the proof will be in the bottle in 2 or 3 weeks, but so far so good. If I had another yard or two of it I might be tempted to use the same cloth for a boil bag. No hot break or hop trub would get through it if it was not squeezed, I am sure of it.

I might just be doing this again.
GooberMcNutly

Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:37 pm

Awesome Goober,

I'm really glad someone one of the BN army has had a crack at the BIAB thing.

It looks like the material you found is a "super" version of the stuff I'm using. My stuff compares to yours, like mosquito mesh compares to mine.

It looks like yours was definately harder to do the Lautering step with, but I strongly suspect that you will end up with clearer wort than I do. you bag is also much prettier. (and modelled so cutely)

With your experience over shooting your temps. You did it the harder way.

When I BIAB, I leave the bag out till my water has reached my desired temperature (calculated in Promash) , then I stick in the bag, poke it down to the bottom with my mash paddle, and pour in the grain.

I suppose you could just put the grain in the bag and lower it in teabag style. It would kind of be like underletting....

If you are going to go with a pulley to lift the bag, and it sounds like you need one with the bag material you have, I suggest that you get yourself a nice Cam Cleat like this one. Sailing shops, but I suspect that hardware stores would have them too.

So that its nice and easy to lift up a little way and stop, repeat. I've seen all in one setups that use them and they seem just the trick. Or you could go all out and try this sort of thing

Which would quite frankly be kind of cool!!

Cant wait for you to have finish that baby off and have a go. Hop it a good one for you.

Thirsty
Thirsty Boy

Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:58 am

I was thinking something more like this:

It has a good mechanical advantage and an easy 500 lb capacity. And I can find them under $10. With the mechanical advantage, a quick half hitch will hold the grain in place.

I like the really tight weave on the fabric. While it would be nice to just pull the sack out of the pot, the wort was very, very clear in my hydrometer sample jar and I think that spending 10 minutes while it drips isn't a big thing, I am using that time to bring the wort up to a boil anyway.
GooberMcNutly

Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:12 am

Something more like this...

Travis
A very silly place... http://yarnzombie.net/Travis/

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-Dave Barry
Lufah

Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:33 am

Lufah wrote:Something more like this...

Travis

Only for 50-G.
GooberMcNutly

PreviousNext

Return to All Grain Brewing