Anyone else using v-vessel out there?

Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:58 am

Been using two of them for a couple of years now and was wondering if anyone out there was using them. So far, I've never had a bad experience with them, other than the need for a blow-off tube when brewing weizens in the warmer months. Also, can someone suggest a good automatic grain mill . The corona mill I am using is good, but adds a half hour to the brew session.
Ken

Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:04 am

I'm not sure what a v-vessel is, but as far as grain mills I've heard nothing but good feedback about crank and stein mills. Linky http://crankandstein.com/

Mashman
Mashman

Re: Anyone else using v-vessel out there?

Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:40 am

Ken wrote:Been using two of them for a couple of years now and was wondering if anyone out there was using them. So far, I've never had a bad experience with them, other than the need for a blow-off tube when brewing weizens in the warmer months. Also, can someone suggest a good automatic grain mill . The corona mill I am using is good, but adds a half hour to the brew session.

I've heard the Crank-n-stein is good, as well. Regarding the v-vessel; I've been curious about them, as well. I like the idea of a conical and stainless is a bit out of my reach. Heard mixed reviews on the cheaper plastic conicals out there.
Do you smell sumpin'?
BeerBiker

Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:42 am

I have a conical from brew buddys and it has performed very well. Disassembles and cleans easily. http://www.toledometalspinning.com/ has conical that are resonable. You could fabricate a stand and save some money on the purchase. Here is there price list. http://www.toledometalspinning.com/prod ... ceList.asp

Doob
Doobster

Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:27 am

I have, and use a vvessel. Actually, I have two of them; one I purchased and one that was given to me for for review purposes. (I am writing a brewing book, mainly focused on brewing hardware and systems, with particular emphasis on DIY equipment. It will be out in 2006)
Anyway, the vvessel is a good product in theory, but it's execution and price leave something to be desired. It's well built and does what it says, however, the" tube" (with the valve) leading to the yeast bulb is too narrow. When using most types of yeast (not all though) this "tube" will become clogged with yeast sediment and require loosening the clog with something like a racking cane to begin secondary fermentation. Not a big deal, but it would be nice if they made this area larger. Picking up the vvessel and giving it a quick twist a few times also seems to loosen the yeast enough to slide down into the bulb. Another "feature" that many won't like it the inability of the vvessel to stand upright -- it comes with a wall mount. Again, good it theory, but unless you brew where you ferment, you're faced with carrying a heavy, difficult-to-grip container around... I solved this problem by building a simple portable stand out of 3/4" birch ply.
I like the vvessel- much better than carboys, which I personally dislike. If the vvessel was cheaper, I'd give it a hearty endorsement, problems notwithstanding, but at $110 (lowest price I've seen) they're probably not the ultimate solution.
If you have more specific questions about the system, give me a shout.
Datamike

Re: Anyone else using v-vessel out there?

Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:57 am

Ken wrote:Been using two of them for a couple of years now and was wondering if anyone out there was using them. So far, I've never had a bad experience with them, other than the need for a blow-off tube when brewing weizens in the warmer months. Also, can someone suggest a good automatic grain mill . The corona mill I am using is good, but adds a half hour to the brew session.

If you're having issues with blow offs, get yourself some foam control. That's how the pros do it, B3 sells it, just do a search for "foam" on their site. Wonderful stuff, a neccessity for IPAs and oatmeal stouts.
Cottrell

Return to All Grain Brewing