Help with a Jameson Stout recipe

Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:54 am

I have been tasked out to make a Jameson Whiskey for some friends. I haven't come up with my base recipe yet but I was wondering if any of you have any good ideas on how I should build this beer. I am assuming an Irish stout would be the best way to go with this one. Do you guys think that I should add some oak chips/cubes/spirals? Also, I was planning on brewing in two weeks and I need it done in about 3 months. It's gonna be a 5 gallon batch and I am going to bottle it, not keg.
humpadilo

Re: Help with a Jameson Stout recipe

Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:25 am

Confused here. Do you want a beer to taste like Jameson or pair with Jameson or *ahem* "concentrate" into Jameson?
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:13 am

LOl, I want a stout flavored with Jameson. The only requests my buddy gave me was a "Jameson Stout".

I think I have come up with a recipe:

5.5 pounds 2-row
2 pounds flaked barley
1 pound roasted barley
1 pound chocolate

2 oz EKG @ 60 minutes

Maybe WLP 013 London yeast for its attenuation?

Soak 2.5 oak chips in Jameson for a few weeks and pour it all into a secondary.
humpadilo

Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:44 pm

humpadilo wrote:LOl, I want a stout flavored with Jameson. The only requests my buddy gave me was a "Jameson Stout".

I think I have come up with a recipe:

5.5 pounds 2-row
2 pounds flaked barley
1 pound roasted barley
1 pound chocolate

2 oz EKG @ 60 minutes

Maybe WLP 013 London yeast for its attenuation?

Soak 2.5 oak chips in Jameson for a few weeks and pour it all into a secondary.

5.5 pounds of base malt doesnt seem like much for a 5 gallon batch. what kind of gravity/alcohol content are you shooting for?
Brewshki

Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:57 pm

Oak chips will impart their flavor much faster than oak cubes due to a larger surface area. I also don't recall Jameson having an overly oaky note to it (I could be wrong there though).

If it was me, I would probably age 1-2 oz of oak cubes (med toast) on the Jameson for as long as you can stand it. Then, time the beer so it allows for enough oak aging time on the Jameson.

After the beer is done fermenting, I would pull a 6 oz sample and use a dropper to add the Jameson/oak blend drop by drop until you hit the right flavor profile. Scale it up from there and add your oak infused liquor to the base beer. Be sure to allow at least a couple weeks of aging time after adding the whiskey so it can mellow well with the beer before serving. Just my 2 cents.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:35 am

What BH said, only I'd use a bigger sample. Jameson by itself is going to have a very strong flavor, even more so with the extra oak. One drop in 6oz might be overpowering. I'd go with a full pint. Not to mention it would make the math easier (a gallon doesn't divide even by 6oz). If 2 drops doesn't overwhelm a pint, then I might scale back to a half-pint. But I've added booze to beer before. It takes a LOT less than you think.

Also, try a French oak (also med toast). It's a little more subtle & will match the oak in Jameson better than an American oak.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Return to All Grain Brewing