Is it bad to lager in kegs?

Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:15 pm

I got my hands on an old kegerator at work that wasn't being used. I thought it was deep enough to hold a carboy but it isn't. However, there is plenty or floor space for 2 corny kegs. Is it bad to transfer from my primary fermenter after terminal gravity is reached and the transfer to kegs for lagering? I would expect to purge with CO2, but is it bad to go ahead and fully carbonate before the beer has had time to age? I have had some good luck with Kolsch in the past but I have never brewed an actual lager. Thoughts?
"The word unblowupable is tossed around a lot these days..."
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Re: Is it bad to lager in kegs?

Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:04 pm

Go for it. Lots of folks do.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:30 am

I always do my lagering in a keg (for whatever that is worth). I don't have a good way to feed CO2 to the carboy while the temperature is dropping down to lagering temps, so the keg with a bit of pressure on it is the only way I can ensure no oxygen ingress.
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:06 pm

This is how I handle all of my beers whether its a lager or an ale.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:45 pm

NateBrews wrote:I always do my lagering in a keg (for whatever that is worth). I don't have a good way to feed CO2 to the carboy while the temperature is dropping down to lagering temps, so the keg with a bit of pressure on it is the only way I can ensure no oxygen ingress.

I bought the mini-regulator from Williams - fitting it to the same tri clamp connection for my temp probe on the conical. I use this to make sure I always have positive pressure on the fermenter while lagering and even cold crashing. FYI.
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Return to All Grain Brewing