Fast Beer

Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:34 am

Hey guys, I'm looking to brew a beer this weekend with the quickest turnaround possible. I'm talking like 7-10 days. I'm considering all the tricks like lower gravity, a big stirplate starter, appropriate styles, etc... I'm leaning towards a hoppy wheat, something in the mild pale ale range as far as flavor/body/ABV. I know I could probably knock off a few days by going with a bavarian or american heffe yeast but I'd really like to stick with something that tastes more like a beer :shock: . I'm leaning something using WLP002 as I've heard it works well on beers with a quicker turnaround.
I'm wondering if anyone has any other thoughts or advice and particularly an actual recipe they would mind sharing?? Any input would be appreciated.
"I encompass, and I eclipse..."
J.Brew

Re: Fast Beer

Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:07 pm

I'd stay there or do a Bavarian Hefe with WLP300 or Wyeast3068

Either way, lower gravity - probably 1.045 or so
Pilsner malt and wheat 50/50
If Hefe, you only need 17-18 IBUs (1 oz 4%AA Hallertaur @60)
If hoppy wheat/blonde, then aim 30 IBUs total, but lots of late/aroma hops and dry hop it in the keg too.
Citra, Cascade, Galaxy, Nelson Sauvin, Amarillo - go for bright American/Aussie hops that add citrus and fruit notes.
HTH-
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:41 pm

Good call BDawg. I think I'm going to do a 1.045-46 OG, 40ish IBU, hoppy wheat with Citra and Amarillo late additions and ferment with something that floculates well like a WLP002.
J.Brew

Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:57 pm

remember, lower gravity beers don't need as many IBUs. It will balance better a little lower IBU wise.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:04 pm

As a reference point, I make my bitters with 1968 (WLP002) with an OG of 1.040 and they can be squeezed into a week. I run the fermentation for the first 2 days at something lower, 65 or so then bring it up to 68 until it is almost done and then 70 to finish cleaning up and all that. Force carbed in a keg with gelatin and it is ready to drink in 7-10 days from brewing. The gelatin probably isn't really required since that yeast drops out so well, but it is that extra bit of sparkle that I like to get.
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:19 am

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I'll probably use that fermentation regiment with the WLP002 NateBrews and good call on the IBU's BDawg. I'll knock those down into the 30 range.
J.Brew

Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:43 am

BDawg wrote:I'd stay there or do a Bavarian Hefe with WLP300 or Wyeast3068

Either way, lower gravity - probably 1.045 or so
Pilsner malt and wheat 50/50
If Hefe, you only need 17-18 IBUs (1 oz 4%AA Hallertaur @60)
If hoppy wheat/blonde, then aim 30 IBUs total, but lots of late/aroma hops and dry hop it in the keg too.
Citra, Cascade, Galaxy, Nelson Sauvin, Amarillo - go for bright American/Aussie hops that add citrus and fruit notes.
HTH-

Agreed! I love Bavarian Hefe :P
dannygreen

Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:02 pm

Another thought...

Go back over Tasty's technique that he used for the CYBI shows. He had beers in the keg ready to serve in a matter of days.

A couple of things...

Don't try to control fermentation, just let it go. Then crash the whole thing cold, filter and force carb.

Brew high gravity, then correct the FG with distilled water.

Check YOUR water profile, if you are not building your own water. Make it work for the style you intend to brew.

CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN!

hope this helps.
Enjoy!
Alan
Alan Marks
alan_marks

Next

Return to All Grain Brewing