how early is too early!

Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:19 pm

I brewed an Alt 10 days ago (OG 1.060). I added oxygen and pitched a pretty big starter. I think it was done in 2 days. I pitched at 60F and after 5 days brought it up 2 degrees. 2 days later I brought it up to 64F. I plan on letting this sit for at least a month after kegging and carbing. Is it too early get this sucker into kegs? I don't filter but I do use gelatin to help clarify. Should I bring it up a little higher temp wise before kegging to help reduce diacetyl?
"The word unblowupable is tossed around a lot these days..."
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Re: how early is too early!

Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:08 pm

I would do a heated diacetyl test to see if there is any diacetyl left in the beer. Heat a sample of it up to 150F or so for 10-15 minutes (I use the microwave and just keep hitting it with 30 second bursts now and then), then let it cool and compare it to a non-heated sample. If there is diacetyl or precursor in there, it will be evident and you should leave it on the yeast a little longer.

If that comes up clean, and the flavor doesn't have any green apple in it and the gravity is stable, then keg it.
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:03 pm

I am a big fan of letting most average gravity beers (1.050-1.060) sit in primary on the yeast cake for at least 12-13 days at room temps (68-70F) prior to cold crashing overnight and then kegging on day 14. I feel that it is just extra assurance that the yeast will fully clean up after themselves without me having to do any extra work.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:06 pm

brewinhard wrote:I am a big fan of letting most average gravity beers (1.050-1.060) sit in primary on the yeast cake for at least 12-13 days at room temps (68-70F) prior to cold crashing overnight and then kegging on day 14. I feel that it is just extra assurance that the yeast will fully clean up after themselves without me having to do any extra work.

+1. My ale brews almost always go 14 days in the FC. Even when they seem to finish early I keep them on the yeast until then. When in doubt I go with negative or static pressure through the air lock or blowout tube for a period of 5 minutes (as long as the system is gas tight). For diacetyl rest, as in Irish Red Ale, the same practice applies, but maybe add three days.

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:40 am

Thank youz, gentlemen. It's still in the fermenter as I haven't had the time to keg it up. Being patient has always worked best for me in the past. However, I did get a little excited to free up fermenter space so I could brew my next batch. I hope to brew again in the next couple of weeks.
"The word unblowupable is tossed around a lot these days..."
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Return to All Grain Brewing