ph of acid adjusted water rises after few hours

Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:15 am

I measure out all my water in the morning and use lactic acid to adjust pH to 5.3 @ 69 degrees. I will check it after 20 minutes and it reads the same. However after 1-2 hours I check the pH and typically find it has rose to 5.5-6 pH or higher.

Is this typical? Do I need to wait longer for the pH to settle?

Another possible factor is I usually do not add the full calculated acid addition because it always lowers the pH too much when I take the initial reading or even after 15 minutes. I have thought about adjusting my water the night before with the full calculated amount to give it time to settle and take the reading in the morning?
dirtbikejunkie

Re: ph of acid adjusted water rises after few hours

Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:12 am

I personally don't use acid to adjust my water, but I think it sounds like you should try to add the calculated amount and see if it overshoots at first but rises after a while to your target. Maybe the calculation already is taking this effect into account? The acid needs to diffuse for it to finish reacting and balance everything out.

My water here in North Bend is pretty much mineral free (well, single digits) as our aquifer at the base of Mt. Si is just a big funnel/collection point for the rain and snow melt runoff coming down the mountains from up towards Snoqualmie Pass. I'd think you have a similar situation up in Monroe, though. For most beers, I just add a little calcium chloride or gypsum and that's about it.

Are you doing this specifically to mimic Pilzn water for a Bo Pils? Or do you do this for all your beers?
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:27 pm

The pH of your water BEFORE you add the grain to it is really not very important. It's the pH of the mash you should concern yourself with. If you're starting out with water at pH 5.3, your mash pH will most likely be a lot lower than that- not ideal. Grain lowers the pH a lot. How have your mash pHs been turning out?
"If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
Elbone

Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:22 am

I do water adjustment on my light beers, e.g. cream ales, and occasionally on lighter pales. For my light beers my mash pH will start at the same as the adjusted water (5.3 at room temp) and will rise to 5.5 by the end of the hour (room temp). My pales settle around 5.4 (at room temp). My darker beers are around 5.4-5.5 (room temp) with no acid.

I think both Elbone and BDawg have good points... I will try using the full calculated amount and only concern what I measure in the mash pH. If that is off then I can make adjustments as necessary.
dirtbikejunkie

Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:57 am

As a follow up, I made my cream ale and added acid according to calculation... well I still pussed out and only added 2/3rds the calculated amount (2ml instead of 3ml). That said I disregarded the pH reading from the acidified water and waited until the mash. The pH came in at 5.49 at room temp (about 15 minutes) where previously it was 5.6 for same brew (with only 1ml acid). I am shooting for 5.4 and next time will go ahead with the full calculated amount (3ml).
dirtbikejunkie

Return to All Grain Brewing