Not hitting my numbers - solved (well a bit anyway)

Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:03 am

Its been irritating the hell out of me.

My strike temps have been a couple of degrees low, and even though I have been really careful measuring, my gravities are too high and my volumes lower than expected.

My last brew is going to be really over hopped because my initial kettle gravity was heaps too high, so I diluted the wort and added extra hops to maintain the IBUs with the extra volume. But then, when it went into the fermentor, I was actually under my expected volume by a significant amount.

A warning, discount stores sell off their plastic measuring jugs really cheaply for a reason. This one had 2litres marked on it twice (once at 1.5, once at 2) and thats probably why it was discounted to a dollar. Unfortunately the reason it was only 2 dollars in the first place was because it only takes 1600ml to fill the damn thing to the (correct) 2 litre mark. So all my volumes for my last 4 brews have been out by 20% Until they get to the fermentor, which has its own scale and I wonder why there is only 18 litres when I was expecting 22-23

grrrrr A simple simple problem, but so easy to not think of. Worth checking if your numbers are out and you cant work out why. Probably worth checking even if they aren't.

Isn't experience a grand thing?

Thirsty
Thirsty Boy

Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:04 am

Probably a Chinese special, eh Thirsty Boy? By golly it was cheap, and now you know why. Never had that problem here in the States (yet).

TimO
TimO

Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:46 pm

It was very, very, very chinese... I dunno about it not being an issue in the states though. Doesn't china earn half its GDP through selling schwag to Walmart for next to nothing?

Besides, you guys in the States are still measuring volumes in Amphora, Urns and Gemins aren't you? would you even notice a discrepancy of this size? :twisted: :D
Thirsty Boy

Return to All Grain Brewing