Re: Tasty's APA

Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:23 am

paloaf wrote:Tasty, what would you think of replacing the two row with Maris Otter? I've brewed this a few times and the flavor comes out spectacular but the body is always a little thin. I've been mashing at 154 and considering upping that to 155-156 for my system. Would a MO substitute work to enhance body as well or would it drastically change the malt profile?

I good change to this recipe would be to remove the carapils and change the grainbill to be up to 20% MO. I'm a big fan of Crisp MO and in particular the Gleneagle (Scotland). This is a very dextrunous malt and has worked out great in my Tasty Session Pale (http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30520&p=281867&hilit=tasty+session+pale#p281867). You may want to increase the IBUs by 10.

Tasty
yep, yep, yep, yep

Next up:
JBA Light
Fermenting:
nada
Serving:
Rauchbier (ugh!)
TastyMcD

Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:04 am

Tasty - Are you dry-hopping in primary? If so, are you dry-hopping prior to reaching terminal gravity? Any details on the dry-hop (pellet vs. whole leaf, when, how long, what temp, etc) would be appreciated.
meegs

Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:25 am

I use a stainless conical so I dryhop after dropping the yeast. I add the dryhop while there’s still some active fermentation. I use pellets at fermentation temperature for 3 days.
yep, yep, yep, yep

Next up:
JBA Light
Fermenting:
nada
Serving:
Rauchbier (ugh!)
TastyMcD

Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:12 pm

Hi @TastyMcD et al

I've been looking for a full bodied session ale for ages and have just come across your recipe.

I've got everything I need except the malt bill. I've only got a couple of English Malta in stock - Crisp Pale Ale malt and Crisp Maris Otter.

What would be the best way to build the malt bill with these?
Would it be to replace the 2 row and Pilsner with the Pale ale and keep the Maris Otter at 19% or would this be too malty? Should I also reduce the Maris Otter %?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Cheers
donchiquon

Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:50 pm

Hey! I have done a bunch of variants to Tasty's original recipe. Here is on that is just Maris Otter and Pilsner, but you could swap the pilsner for pale ale malt. Leave out the roast to get pale ale instead of amber ale.

https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/session-amber-with-rye

(Maybe you are the person that already found it and made a variant of it the other day)

In any case, I wouldn't worry about getting too malty. The small malt character, even if big for the poundage, isn't going to overwhelm the hops. If anything, I would use more pale ale malt and less MO in the thing. Maybe if you just swap out the 2-row and pils for the pale ale malt you would be right where you want.
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Wed May 03, 2017 1:56 am

Thanks @NateBrews, that's exactly the advice I was looking for! I'll replace the 2-row and Pilsner with UK Pale Ale, and also drop the MO to 10%.

Half of the beers I brew are UK bitters (I'm a Brit living in the mountains in France) and the rest are US pale ales and IPAs.

I've realised that without thinking about it I've subbed UK pale ale for all of my US beers that require 2 row.

Now that I think about it both a Resin clone, and a Dechutes Freshly Squeezed clone that I brewed recently were both too Malty. It's a good excuse to order in some 2 row and rebrew them!
donchiquon

Previous

Return to All Grain Brewing