Long Mash

Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:51 am

I brewed my second All Grain batch last weekend using the BIAB method with pump driven recirculation. My first batch was a Brown Ale and everything went perfect. This batch was a Weizen - 50% Pils / 50% Wheat. After mashing for an hour I checked the gravity and was SUPER low. I eventually hit my numbers (1.042 pre-boil), but had to mash for THREE HOURS to get there!

What went wrong? Was it the different grain? The crush? I bought and milled this grain from a different shop than my first batch.
I appreciate all feedback! :bnarmy:
:bnarmy: Corporal – SoCal Division, Inland Empire Platoon

On tap: Nada
Conditioning: Nada
Fermenting: Mexican Lager
Planned: Doppelbock or Weizenbock, Oatmeal Stout, DIPA
santamarina

Re: Long Mash

Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:56 pm

You have to adjust your mill so the gap is smaller when you mill wheat malt. Wheat is a smaller kernel so you have to crush it up more. It doesn't have a husk so you don't have to worry about shredding the husks.
-"You want a beer?"
-"But it's 7am"
-"Scotch?"
ziggy

Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:29 pm

Or if you aren't able to adjust the setting, run it through multiple times.

Not sure if it was accidental, but no need to start two threads on the same topic....
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:21 am

I BIAB and don't have the $$ for my own adjustable mill - so I have the LHBS double-crush my grain every time - there's two I go to - they're willing to let me put my order in over email and then pick it up.

Of course, getting a mill so I can fine-tune my grist is on my (long) list of things to buy...
imahokie

Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:14 am

Good call on the double crush and pH test (from my second thread)...two things I didn't do, but need to! As I actually start DOING all grain I slowly remember all the tips I've heard over the years on the BN...usually after I mess something up and y'all remind me. Thanks!

And sorry for the double thread...after I posted the first time I saw the "post submitted" note, but neglected to finish the sentence where it say "...awaiting approval".
:bnarmy: Corporal – SoCal Division, Inland Empire Platoon

On tap: Nada
Conditioning: Nada
Fermenting: Mexican Lager
Planned: Doppelbock or Weizenbock, Oatmeal Stout, DIPA
santamarina

Return to All Grain Brewing