It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Brew by Day or Night?? Which are you?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:22 am 

Morning brewer also. Like to start around 6am and wrap up around noon. I use an appliance timer on my electric HLT so that I'm ready to dough in right away.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:25 pm 

Days off of work, 9am to 3pm. Once I mashed in Sunday am and went to church, mashed out when I got home. Always wondered about that 3hr mash though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:15 pm 

Night brewer.... Brewing right now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:13 pm 

I am a dawn brewer, I start around 4 am, and usually mid boil around dawn. I need to be chilling wort when the toddler awakes. Otherwise she interrupts, gets added as 'co-brewer,' and I miss things like flameout time of hop additions.

The Fool

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:17 am 

I've done a bit of both, and in between.

When our second child was less than a year old it worked well to mash in about 5, help get dinner ready, start sparge after kids went to bed around 7 and usually have it all done by midnight (would be finished earlier but a couple of neighbors usually came around after their kids were in bed and we made a night of it ;-)

Also did midday, when I could work it around a kid's nap time and have it done between noon and 5pm, and get some house work done in the meantime (always a good way to get in the good books and improve your chances of getting the chance to brew again soon)

More recently it's been a morning affair, mash in around 9, let the missus go for a run while I look after kids, finish off the session around 230.

The thing I've found most helpful I'd putting a timer and temp controller on my electric HLT, I can set it the night before and strike water is ready to go when I am.

Basically any time is a good time to brew!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:28 pm 
Global Moderator
 WWW  Profile

Medals: 1
Drunk of the Week (1)
I prefer morning brewing. Depending on the season, I start by 7 or 8 am. Unless it's summer. Then I start at 5 or 6. Since my schedule is flexible (not as flexible as Captain Carrots) I generally brew on Monday. This week it will be Tuesday. Depending on the rain. . .

Once, I had just about finished the mash, when the plastic table that held my mash tun collapsed and I had to go to Austin Homebrew Supply (2 hours away), start everything over again. I finished at ten pm.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:57 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I prefer dawn/morning brewing because I'm usually done by 11. But I usually don't have the morning time slots available so midnight brewing is what I get stuck with. I start my mash water right when I get home at 6 pm and I am usually done around 1 am. Super sucks but I still get to have dinner time with the family, play time with the kids, and I have the rest of the evening to focus on sparging and hop additions.

Bottled:

:bnarmy: Corporal BN Army :bnarmy:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:34 pm 
 WWW  Profile

12-5pm. When the buddies get of work they come over and smell the garage and drink beer..........

Keg#1 Belgian Golden
Keg#2 Star San
Keg#3 Star San
Keg#4 Belgian IPA
Keg#5 SMaSH Featuring Pacific Gem

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next