Re: Brew by Day or Night?? Which are you?

Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:51 am

CRBrewHound wrote:
skerrydude wrote:I travel 1.5 hours to goto my relative's to brew, as I cannot have outside flames at my apartment. I get in on Friday night, bottle and get a brew started sometime around midnightish, depending upon how much I have to bottle. I get my first batch going and finish up about when the sun is rising. Then get started on another and try to make it back home for saturday night.

Unless I take a nap on Friday after bottling, then I get up early on Sat and get a jump on it. Also, at least two batches brewed, every two weeks....

Have you ever considered going electric? Depending on your volume, it can be done fairly cheaply and would allow you to brew at home.

I have not really looked into that, my apartment gets WAAAAAY too hot to ferment in the summer (deffinately doing a sour/saison this summer) and I like seeing my relatives. Also, I REALLY dig on doing 10 gallon batches!
skerrydude

Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:49 am

farmbrew wrote:
brewinhard wrote:
farmbrew wrote:Night brewer....start around 10pm and end up finishing up at about 2-3am. I prefer it and with a 7 month old this is the only time I can get to brew.

farm

Man, those are some crazy hours you got goin' on! Do you have to work at all during the day too?

sometimes got to get up at 6am for work but most of the time I just got to get up when the kid rises around 7am. Its hard but it's the only time I get.

farm

Talk about dedication to the craft. :jnj
Fermenting: English Mild
Conditioning: Wild Pumpkin
Drinking: Funky Saison
Cody

Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:03 am

I typically brew in the morning on a Sat or Sun and am done by 3 or so, but I may try a few weeknight brew sessions soon. If I'm making an event out of it and having friends over, then I'll brew at night and try not to drink too much until the end of the boil! Clean up is sometimes the next morning..
NatePT

Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:28 am

Oh man, I love waking up right around 7:30 or 8AM and brewing. I used to be a night brewer (shit just doesn't get clean) and the difference is crazy! Shit is so much cleaner when you're done brewing at 2 or so and can spend an hour getting everything tidied. My brews are still about 6-7 hours long (still getting the hang of things, and half the time I have to drive to the brew shop in the middle of it to pick up this or that.)

I did a weekend with back-to-back brew days last weekend. An oatmeal stout and a red IPA, I was in hog heaven. After I made the stout, I strapped the burner (sans tank, of course) to the back of my bike, pedaled over to my brothers and deep fried some corn dogs and Belgian fries. That was a day of awesomeness.
JakeAndBake

Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:05 pm

I always brew at night unless I have an odd day off work. I start around 7:00 PM after the kids go to bed and usually wrap up around midnight.
Dan
Carmel, IN
Twitter: @IndianaBrewer
Corporal - BN Army

Favorite Quotes:
"I have won lots a awards and know brewing."
alkohall

Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:31 am

My system is a B3 gravity all-grain tower: So I start around 6 AM and can get 2, 5 gallon batches done by noon or 3 by 2 PM. I can't remember the last time I brewed just one beer.
My Homebrewing Adventures/Blog

Image @Lewybrewing
________
Corporal BN Army. South San Diego Platoon, TJ Protection Force
Lewybrewing

Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:55 am

I always start early, usually on a weekend. 6am or so. Then by 2 I'm wrapping up and drinkin beers. 10 gallon batches mostly.
mtyquinn

Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:19 am

Day brewer here. I try to setup as much the night before ( water, salts, crush grain, etc ) and get started around 7am or so.

I tried brewing once at night. I got home from work on a Friday and started around 6pm. I didn't get finished until around 11:30pm. I don't think I'll do that too often...very tiring. Besides, I tend to drink more with night brewing than day brewing.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to All Grain Brewing