Brew by Day or Night?? Which are you?

Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:21 pm

I have always brewed at night, starting around 5pm and finishing around 11pm. Normally throwing a shindig and having some friends over.

But, my new living situation has made Day brewing a more convenient way to brew for me. My last 4 brews have been starting at 8:30am and finishing around 2:30pm.

I must say I love the DAY brewing!

So, anyway just got me wondering what is the norm for you BNers. DAY or Night?
Pouring - Infidel Porter, Pallino Wit
Fermenting - Till a rustic Saison
On Deck - Abbey Dubbel, Belgian Golden Strong maybe with brett
LukeD23

Re: Brew by Day or Night?? Which are you?

Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:14 pm

I do my all-grain brews on weekends in the morning, 8am to 2pm or so. Extract batches when I can fit them in, mostly weekday evenings after the kids go to bed.

Interested to hear about others. I never gave it much thought, but I might just try an all-grain in the afternoon/evening!
I wouldn't use me as an example.
Chemiker

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:29 pm

I've only ever started brewing in the early morning and finishing up in the early afternoon. I've heard Justin talk about night brewing a bunch on the session and the idea of brewing at night is completely foreign to me.
Adopt a deaf dog. It will change your life in a positive way

Jamil Zainasheff has a walk in cooler.
Pamela Anderson has a walk in cooter.
San_Diego_Matt

Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:37 am

Sunday morning for me. I'm an early riser so Sunday is perfect . Even during football season I can be finished by kickoff.
Sqhead

Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:19 am

Start by 7:30 am and done by 1:30 pm barring any complications during the brewday. Brewing during the morning/early afternoon gives me a chance to still have somewhat of a day to get other things done while still being able to relax and enjoy the homebrew by evening.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:15 am

Depends. I usually brew on weekends, but it varies between early and late afternoon start times. I like to go out and do stuff early in the day, then I can come home and have a nice, relaxed brew session. This also works for Sundays with church in the morning and I can have the game on while I'm brewing. I'd probably do it in the day though if I used a propane burner. Right now I'm stove top.
Fermenting: English Mild
Conditioning: Wild Pumpkin
Drinking: Funky Saison
Cody

Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:37 am

I've done the occasional Saturday night brew if the Mrs is out of town. Usually I'm starting at 9 in the morn and wrapping up around 2:30 if things go well. Lack of work lets me brew during the week which is nice.
Cheers brothas! :jnj
Keep on Brewin'
Captain Carrot

"Beer makes everything more fun!" (me)
captain carrot

Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:13 am

Usually Sunday mornings around 8AM PST. During football season we can be done before the Seahawks kickoff. This AM schedule works great and keeps us from drinking too much and messing something up during the brew day.
Sour/Brett Beer Fermenting: Lambic, Kreik, Flanders Red, Berliner Weisse, Orval, English Stock Ale
On Tap: nothing
Next on Tap: Belgian Pale Ale, American ESB and Sweet Cider
Next to Brew: Belgian Tripel and Dark Strong Ale
MikeB

Next

Return to All Grain Brewing