Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:49 pm

thanks everyone.

Think I try to filter a beer to see what happens. And also get a wooden dowel to control water flow to mash tun.

I'm sure I will have more questions in the future but right now I have been reading all the previous post and will learn from them.

Gas or stomache pains. I will still drink my homebrew! It's good. Maybe my body will adjust to this.

talk to you all again. Thanks for the replies!
Carver

Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:10 pm

I use a very ghetto system for measuring the water that goes into my mash tun. It involves 2 pitchers. One of which is a 2 quart measuring pitcher. I probably don't need to describe it any more than just dip, measure, and pour. No guess work involved. Some loss of temperature, but I factor that in and hit my temps within a degree or two every time. If I were fly sparging, this method would suck big time. Since I batch sparge, it works just fine.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Re: New Brewer has ?'s

Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:40 pm

Carver wrote:Hello all,
2: Most of my beers have tasted real good, but I seem to get a lot of gas and like a stomach ache. Like blotting. Is this to much yeast? Or proteins I cannot digest? Do any of you have this problem or is it my beer?

I have the perfect solution to this problem. FART!! It's ok. You're a guy. We do that. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm not a slacker in society. I'm an over achieving homeless person.

Drunk posting should be reserved for The RAT PAD!!
beer_bear

Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:50 pm

I have 10gal of rasberry blone all in the primary. I used Idophor to sanitize everything. Also used White Labs yeast (used nottingham for all batches before but starting to use a more approriate yeast for style)

I pitched a 2 quart starter for this batch and used oxygen to for both the starter and the batch to oxygenate it.

Also made fermentaion chamber to ferment in.

Hopefully this will change the gas problem. I will let you all know.

Anybody know anything about adding fruit to secondary. I was thinking about 6lbs. let set how long?
Carver

Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:28 pm

I actually measure my mash water before heating. That way, when it reaches the proper temp, I can just run it all into the MT while I stir in the grains. No guessing on the amount and no burning myself by trying to measure hot water. Once I am done mixing the mash, I refill my HLT to heat my sparge water.
Bald guys rule.
BigBadBrad

Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:38 am

BigBadBrad wrote:I actually measure my mash water before heating. That way, when it reaches the proper temp, I can just run it all into the MT while I stir in the grains. No guessing on the amount and no burning myself by trying to measure hot water. Once I am done mixing the mash, I refill my HLT to heat my sparge water.

This is exactly what I do as well. I also have a copper pipe that is marked that I used after the mash and sparge to check to make sure my pre boil volume is accurate. So far it has been.
barleypopmaker

Previous

Return to All Grain Brewing