Clean copper components of mash tun?

Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:33 am

How often should I tear apart my mash tun and thoroughly clean the parts and replace the gaskets? Is it even needed? I haven't checked, but I can just imagine all kinds of bacteria and mold just festering in there.
Dan
Carmel, IN
Twitter: @IndianaBrewer
Corporal - BN Army

Favorite Quotes:
"I have won lots a awards and know brewing."
alkohall

Re: Clean copper components of mash tun?

Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:24 pm

It's probably a good idea to disassemble things and give them a soak in PBW/Oxyclean/whatever you like, from time to time to remove any possible buildup. Another benefit to this is to check that the seals are still soft and not damaged.

It's not too important in the mash tun since the wort will be boiled and will kill anything it could possibly pick up in the MT.
@Day_Brew
PFC - Chicagoland Engineering Div.
_________
Primary: Berliner, RIS (for barrel), Trippel, Wit
Keg: APA, Eng. Brown, Belg. Stout w/ Bourbon Oak, BDS, Brett Experiment
anday6

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:52 am

Thanks. That will be a pain, but at least I know I should do that now.
Dan
Carmel, IN
Corporal - BN Army

Favorite Quotes:
alkohall

Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:20 am

In my opinion, the only cleaning a mash tun needs is to remove debris. My tun is nice and brown and full of scratches from well over a decade of brewing. As long as you are rinsing the tun out well and removing sugars and other materials that might putrify, there is no need to disassemble or radically clean anything.

Enjoy!
Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Download Bru'n Water here:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brun-Water/464551136933908?ref=bookmarks
mabrungard

Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:17 am

mabrungard wrote:In my opinion, the only cleaning a mash tun needs is to remove debris. My tun is nice and brown and full of scratches from well over a decade of brewing. As long as you are rinsing the tun out well and removing sugars and other materials that might putrify, there is no need to disassemble or radically clean anything.

Enjoy!

I always run a ton of hot water through the spigot and clean the tun thoroughly. My question came about because I had a chemist friend over and she made me leery about what might start to grow in the crevices of the copper fittings. Being a semi-lazy brewer, I would much rather not have to disassemble anything. Thanks for the response!
By the way, I am from Carmel, too. I'll have to look up Foam Blowers soon.
Dan
Carmel, IN
Corporal - BN Army

Favorite Quotes:
alkohall

Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:57 am

yup, an hour long boil is the great equalizer...
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:15 am

mabrungard wrote:In my opinion, the only cleaning a mash tun needs is to remove debris. My tun is nice and brown and full of scratches from well over a decade of brewing. As long as you are rinsing the tun out well and removing sugars and other materials that might putrify, there is no need to disassemble or radically clean anything.

Enjoy!

I agree with mabrungard, as long as you rinse it out well after each brew there is no point to disassemble. I run the hot water from my immersion chiller into my mash tun to clean mine. I haven't disassembled mine since i got it three years ago, but the only thing would be the ball valve that i cant see or scrub.
BrewerJ

Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:35 am

+1.

I just use a soft sponge and warm water to make sure that most of the gunk is off. It does not need to be sanitized. I rarely use any cleaner (like oxiclean). Maybe once a year when I want it to sparkle again.

Your could have all sorts of interesting stuff growing in the crevices but it won't matter as you'll be boiling for at least an hour like others have mentioned.

People that feel antsy about this need to remember that there's any number of mouse feces/hair, and bugs in your malt as well that you're probably not aware of. Just like your breakfast cereal.

Kal
kal

Next

Return to All Grain Brewing