It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 1 Gallon All Grain?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:54 pm 

Hey guys. I've been unable to brew for the past few months. I'm about 2 weeks away from having a place to call my own, and have asked about other aspects of brewing very small batches in other threads. I was running on the assumption that I would be making 1 gallon extract batches. It just came to me that going small doesn't necessarily mean going extract.

What's the smallest all grain batch that any of you have brewed?

Is it practical for me to do? I only made my mashtun at the end of last summer, and only have a few AG batches under my belt. I'd like to keep expanding my AG skill set, but I'm not sure how the skills I'd develop would translate into more standard batch sizes. I don't want to waste a bunch of time getting good at tiny AG batches only to have to abandon what I learn when my housing situation smooths out.

If it's going to be too much trouble without expanding my (viable) skill set, I'll probably do simple extract batches just so I don't feel like a liar when I say I brew my own beer.

Thanks in advance! I move in Thursday, 3/1, and I'm looking to brew on Saturday, 3/3.

Be Excellent To Each Other...

Post subject: Re: 1 Gallon All Grain?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:09 pm 
Global Moderator
 WWW  Profile

Medals: 2
Drunk of the Week (2)
Doing a 1 gal all grain is really no different from doing a mini-mash for a 5 gal batch. I'd do it brew in a bag style.

I regularly do 2.5 gal all grain batches, but I'm double batching to fill a fermentor since I can't do 5 gal brews in the kitchen.

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:38 am 

spiderwrangler wrote:
Doing a 1 gal all grain is really no different from doing a mini-mash for a 5 gal batch. I'd do it brew in a bag style.

I regularly do 2.5 gal all grain batches, but I'm double batching to fill a fermentor since I can't do 5 gal brews in the kitchen.

I just got done with a 1 gallon batch, and did it BIAB style. Wasn't much different than steeping grains for a partial. Quick and easy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:41 pm 
Global Moderator
 WWW  Profile

Medals: 2
Drunk of the Week (2)
suprchunk wrote:
spiderwrangler wrote:

I just got done with a 1 gallon batch, and did it BIAB style. Wasn't much different than steeping grains for a partial. Quick and easy.

Yup... I do my 2.5s in my cooler mash tun, but bag is easy way to go for smaller batches.

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:04 pm 

Check out the Brooklyn Brew Shop's site. They have great instructions for 1 gallon AG batches - here's a link.

http://brooklynbrewshop.com/directions/ ... ctions.pdf