Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:04 pm

Now, don't rip my head off because I am unrelated to those guys and am not even a customer, but perhaps they are not the scumbags that we are making them out to be.

The catalog seems to offer several strains that are no longer in production. For example, didn't Edme get completely out of the yeast business a couple of years ago? Well these brewster guys seem to carry several Edme yeasts that I guess they have been maintaining on slants or plates or whatever all this time. So if you run across an old recipe that calls for that yeast, you aren't going to get it from the original source but you can still get it from these guys.

Is it really so terrible for them to collect up commercially available yeast to sell after the original propogator doesn't want to any more? Seems to me that is a valuable service for which people might well want to pay $7 per slant.

The next logical step is selling yeast that is still being produced. Is that really so terrible either? Do the yeast banks from which the Whites buy complain that the whites are growing and selling yeast? Does Dole complain if I buy one pineapple from the grocery and build a pineapple plantation from it?
User avatar
DannyW
 
Posts: 1953
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:37 pm
Location: Nokomis, Florida, USA

Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:11 pm

If Dole had a proprietary strain of pineapple, I think they would be upset.

Brad
Bald guys rule.
User avatar
BigBadBrad
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:26 pm
Location: Corona, CA

Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:46 am

you can plant a pineapple and grow a pineapple tree? Cool!! 8)
User avatar
medtech
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:52 pm
Location: Gardner, MA

Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:00 am

medtech wrote:you can plant a pineapple and grow a pineapple tree? Cool!! 8)


I'm gonna try it with a dollar, or better yet a hundred dollar bill!! Now all I need is a hundred dollar bill.

Brad
Bald guys rule.
User avatar
BigBadBrad
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:26 pm
Location: Corona, CA

Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:56 am

DannyW wrote:Now, don't rip my head off because I am unrelated to those guys and am not even a customer, but perhaps they are not the scumbags that we are making them out to be.

The catalog seems to offer several strains that are no longer in production. For example, didn't Edme get completely out of the yeast business a couple of years ago? Well these brewster guys seem to carry several Edme yeasts that I guess they have been maintaining on slants or plates or whatever all this time. So if you run across an old recipe that calls for that yeast, you aren't going to get it from the original source but you can still get it from these guys.

Is it really so terrible for them to collect up commercially available yeast to sell after the original propogator doesn't want to any more? Seems to me that is a valuable service for which people might well want to pay $7 per slant.

The next logical step is selling yeast that is still being produced. Is that really so terrible either? Do the yeast banks from which the Whites buy complain that the whites are growing and selling yeast? Does Dole complain if I buy one pineapple from the grocery and build a pineapple plantation from it?


I agree Danny, for those strains that you can't get anymore this is a great service and I saw this posted over on B3s forum and some of them use it to get some Brewtek strains i believe like CL-50 I think. I do think it is crazy to buy current production strains from them but those that are hard to get this is a great service.
Nate
http://www.nebraskabeerblog.com
Beers on tap-Schwarzbier, RyeIPA
User avatar
BrewBum
 
Posts: 1788
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:01 am
Location: Central Nebraska

Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:36 pm

Actually Dole does have a proprietary "breed" of pinapple... however it is only the canned stuff.... he bread it to fit into the can with less waste....
History Channel Bitches
BUB
Lunch Meet "Limpian" Gold Medalist (x2) 2006
Winner of <b>NO PANTS</b> award 2006 and 2007
Make your own beer website... starting at $10 per YEAR.
www.bubweb.com & www.momenttoponder.com
User avatar
bub
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 3417
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:06 pm
Location: Greater Nashvegas

Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:57 pm

bub wrote:Actually Dole does have a proprietary "breed" of pinapple... however it is only the canned stuff.... he bread it to fit into the can with less waste....
History Channel Bitches
BUB


Owned.
http://www.thirstymallard.wordpress.com

"If beer and women aren't the answer, then you're asking the wrong questions." -Anonymous

BN Army Corporal; Southern Support - Gulf Coast Division

Texas is better than your state. Fact.
User avatar
Thirsty Mallard
 
Posts: 3159
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:34 am
Location: Hell bent, 100% Texan 'till I die!

Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:53 am

JRoche00 wrote:
bub wrote:Actually Dole does have a proprietary "breed" of pinapple... however it is only the canned stuff.... he bread it to fit into the can with less waste....
History Channel Bitches
BUB


Owned.

That's a verbal bitch slap from BUB !! :shock:
I'm not a slacker in society. I'm an over achieving homeless person.

Drunk posting should be reserved for The RAT PAD!!
User avatar
beer_bear
 
Posts: 1448
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:27 am
Location: Memphis,Tenn

Previous

Return to All Grain Brewing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

A BIT ABOUT US

The Brewing Network is a multimedia resource for brewers and beer lovers. Since 2005, we have been the leader in craft beer entertainment and information with live beer radio, podcasts, video, events and more.