Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:04 pm

Now, don't rip my head off because I am unrelated to those guys and am not even a customer, but perhaps they are not the scumbags that we are making them out to be.

The catalog seems to offer several strains that are no longer in production. For example, didn't Edme get completely out of the yeast business a couple of years ago? Well these brewster guys seem to carry several Edme yeasts that I guess they have been maintaining on slants or plates or whatever all this time. So if you run across an old recipe that calls for that yeast, you aren't going to get it from the original source but you can still get it from these guys.

Is it really so terrible for them to collect up commercially available yeast to sell after the original propogator doesn't want to any more? Seems to me that is a valuable service for which people might well want to pay $7 per slant.

The next logical step is selling yeast that is still being produced. Is that really so terrible either? Do the yeast banks from which the Whites buy complain that the whites are growing and selling yeast? Does Dole complain if I buy one pineapple from the grocery and build a pineapple plantation from it?
DannyW

Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:11 pm

If Dole had a proprietary strain of pineapple, I think they would be upset.

Brad
Bald guys rule.
BigBadBrad

Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:46 am

you can plant a pineapple and grow a pineapple tree? Cool!! 8)
medtech

Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:00 am

medtech wrote:you can plant a pineapple and grow a pineapple tree? Cool!! 8)

I'm gonna try it with a dollar, or better yet a hundred dollar bill!! Now all I need is a hundred dollar bill.

Brad
Bald guys rule.
BigBadBrad

Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:56 am

DannyW wrote:Now, don't rip my head off because I am unrelated to those guys and am not even a customer, but perhaps they are not the scumbags that we are making them out to be.

The catalog seems to offer several strains that are no longer in production. For example, didn't Edme get completely out of the yeast business a couple of years ago? Well these brewster guys seem to carry several Edme yeasts that I guess they have been maintaining on slants or plates or whatever all this time. So if you run across an old recipe that calls for that yeast, you aren't going to get it from the original source but you can still get it from these guys.

Is it really so terrible for them to collect up commercially available yeast to sell after the original propogator doesn't want to any more? Seems to me that is a valuable service for which people might well want to pay $7 per slant.

The next logical step is selling yeast that is still being produced. Is that really so terrible either? Do the yeast banks from which the Whites buy complain that the whites are growing and selling yeast? Does Dole complain if I buy one pineapple from the grocery and build a pineapple plantation from it?

I agree Danny, for those strains that you can't get anymore this is a great service and I saw this posted over on B3s forum and some of them use it to get some Brewtek strains i believe like CL-50 I think. I do think it is crazy to buy current production strains from them but those that are hard to get this is a great service.
Nate
http://www.nebraskabeerblog.com
Beers on tap-Schwarzbier, RyeIPA
BrewBum

Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:36 pm

Actually Dole does have a proprietary "breed" of pinapple... however it is only the canned stuff.... he bread it to fit into the can with less waste....
History Channel Bitches
BUB
Lunch Meet "Limpian" Gold Medalist (x2) 2006
Winner of <b>NO PANTS</b> award 2006 and 2007
Make your own beer website... starting at $10 per YEAR.
www.bubweb.com & www.momenttoponder.com
bub
Global Moderator

Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:57 pm

bub wrote:Actually Dole does have a proprietary "breed" of pinapple... however it is only the canned stuff.... he bread it to fit into the can with less waste....
History Channel Bitches
BUB

Owned.
http://www.thirstymallard.wordpress.com

"If beer and women aren't the answer, then you're asking the wrong questions." -Anonymous

BN Army Corporal; Southern Support - Gulf Coast Division

Texas is better than your state. Fact.
Thirsty Mallard

Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:53 am

JRoche00 wrote:
bub wrote:Actually Dole does have a proprietary "breed" of pinapple... however it is only the canned stuff.... he bread it to fit into the can with less waste....
History Channel Bitches
BUB

Owned.

That's a verbal bitch slap from BUB !! :shock:
I'm not a slacker in society. I'm an over achieving homeless person.

Drunk posting should be reserved for The RAT PAD!!
beer_bear

Previous

Return to All Grain Brewing