Whirlpool Hopping F'd-up

Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:05 pm

So I realized today that I had half of my whirlpool hops listed in the recipe as dry hops.

I brewed CYBI Firestone Walker DBA using 1469 instead of 1968 (had fresh yeast from my Riggwelter clone), put 5 gallons in a new American Oak barrel, fermentation is settling now at day 3 (a little too warm and fruity, but we'll see). I whirlpooled 44g EKG for 30 minutes and forgot to add my 44g Wilamette.

I presume it's going to be a bit weak on bitterness and flavor. Short of brewing another batch and over-whirlpool hopping to blend, any thoughts on helping this batch?

I'm probably just going to enjoy it as-is and rebrew it .... heck even Tasty can't get this one right! :shock: (sorry, Tasty, just kidding!)
-- Scott

On Tap - Janet's Brown, Easy-Jack/SNPA mash-up
Primary - BCS Saison with rye
Secondary - Cabernet Sauvingon
animaldoc

Re: Whirlpool Hopping F'd-up

Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:26 pm

add some iso hop bitterness extract if you really want to change it, otherwise I would just enjoy as is. It's probably still going to be a wonderful beer.
"It's really easy to make shitty beer."
jwatkins56550

Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:31 pm

I think 1468 attenuates a touch better than 1968 so you might be fine. Drink it, im sure it will be good as is.
On Deck: Bier de Garde, Northern German Pils
In Fermenters: Homegrown Pale Ale
in keg: Octoberweizen, Dusseldorf Alt
edisonst

Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:00 pm

Thanks for the input ... I was considering the iso-hop extract. Tasted today seems a little sweet ..... might be balance issue rather than underattenuated ...... went from 1.056 to 1.014, I think it's pretty done. A little fruity ..... acetaldehyde vs yeast esters ..... we'll see what it tastes like in a week. Fermented a bit warm (68-->72), not getting much oak yet after 5 days in the 5 gallon barrel (new american oak, medium plus).

If it's too sweet I'll either rebrew and share this or get some iso-extract.
-- Scott

animaldoc

Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:05 pm

Intersting. Both the carboy-fermented and the barrel-fermented batches finished the same but they are distinctly different.

The un-oaked tastes sweet, almost under-attenuated sweet or overly crystalled. The barrel fermented batch tastes nice! Not as sweet, oak in the nose more than in the palate but definitely there. Missing some bitterness and hop flavor from the missing whirlpool hops but a nice beer.

I'm not sure what the oak is bringing to the table to cut the apparent sweetness ...... I would have thought the vanilla would have emphasized the sweetness and give it a desert-y taste.

Ready to brew it again with the right hops .... I'll bet it comes out fantastic this time.
-- Scott

animaldoc

Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:53 pm

You are probably getting tannins from the oak, that is likely the reason it does not taste as sweet. Probably some other compounds as well. Actually the strains have nearly the same attenuation according to wyeastlabs.com, approx 67-71%. You can try the isohop extract as others have said or just add the other half as dry hops. You won't get as much bitterness with the dry hops. Mostly aroma and flavor with a little tannin. You could always blend the two?
Hoser
Hoser

Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:55 pm

just dry hop w/ the missing hops - you don't get much bitterness from the whirlpool hops anyway, especially w/ lower AA hops.
chopper

Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:57 pm

The Firestone Walker website says DBA is dry hopped ....... hmmmmmm ........ the CYBI recipes don't have dry hops.

Makes me wonder if it was really cloned after all.
-- Scott

animaldoc

Return to All Grain Brewing