harvesting yeast from active primary

Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:45 pm

I have been able to repitch yeast by pouring my wort onto the yeast cake from a previous primary fermentation without any noticable ill effects. My predicament this time is that I am set to brew tonight but my beer is not done fermenting. Im still getting 15 bubbles per minute. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience harvesting yeast from an active fermentation and has any suggestions regarding this concept. Should i harvest from the yeast that has settled or from the krausen on top? I realize contamination is a factor but with well sanitized equipment and the yeast pumping out co2 i cant see where this would be a problem. Any feedback appreciated.
-R.J.
Buck Satan

Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:43 pm

Should be easy to do sanitize or sterilize if you can a big spoon and scoop away. Thats what I would do. If you are fermenting in a carboy maybe use a turkey baster.

Travis
A very silly place... http://yarnzombie.net/Travis/

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-Dave Barry
Lufah

Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:55 pm

If you are fermenting in a bucket and have Kraeusen on top, there is no better and easier way to collect fresh healthy yeast. I also had success with raking an unfinished lager to a secondary. In this case the suspended yeast was able to finish the job. I also pitched some of the collected yeast into that secondary to make sure that there is still enough yeast available.

Kai
Kaiser

Return to All Grain Brewing