Adjusting Mash ph with Sauer (Acid) Malt

Sat May 20, 2006 12:41 am

Guys,

I loved the last ph discussions where there was a lot of good discussion about adjusting mash ph with different acids. Forgive me if I missed it in the archive (listening with the kids in the background :) ), but what about adjusting mash ph with acid malt?

I've been using this method for the last 10 batches or so and I have finally gotten rid of the atringency that I've always had. I bought a ph meter and found that my mash ph was at the 5.8-6.0 mark. I experimented with different %'s of acid malt and most recipes come in with 2-3% of the grist to bring it to 5.2-5.3.

I've kind of done this by trial and error...if you know of any published articles on using acid malt and calculating it's usage from my water chemistry, I'd appreciate it.

Just wanted to mention this method as it has totally sorted my beer out!

Cheers,

Rosie
rosie

Tue May 23, 2006 10:48 am

I had the same complaint when listening to the show. I'm a believer in brewing beer with only the 4 ingredients and mash acidification with acid malt and/or using an acid rest is certianly very important to this.

I have been using an acid rest for my latest Hefeweizen. Though it was mainly for releasing ferulic acid (precursor for 4VG, the clove like aroma) I noticed a change of PH in my mash that brough the mash in the propper PH range.

Kai
Kaiser

Re: Adjusting Mash ph with Sauer (Acid) Malt

Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:22 am

Just an update on this one.

A good rule of thumb if you are going to start using Acidulated (Sauer) Malt to help drop your mash pH. Start with 1% of grist = 0.1 drop in mash pH and you shouldn't be too far out...your mileage may vary...
--
Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
Chairman of the Beer
Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
Henley-on-Thames
http://www.lovibonds.com
http://www.facebook.com/LovibondsBrewery
http://www.twitter.com/Lovibonds
rosie

Re: Adjusting Mash ph with Sauer (Acid) Malt

Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:49 am

It seems you have answered you question of 5 years ago satisfactorily. The 0.1 pH per percent grist is well (or getting to be well) known. It is found on Weyermann's web site and, in my experience, holds pretty well at least with the low carbonate water with which I brew lagers. My pH values are usually 5.3 - 5.4. One thing I always note about the use of sauermalz is that it takes a few (10 - 15) minutes after dough in for the pH to stabilize when using it. It can read as low as 5.0 right at dough in and rises most of the way to the final pH in 15 minutes.
ajdelange

Return to All Grain Brewing