Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:26 am

I also use hole hops as much as I can and never have a problem Heck I just dryed 49 OZ of Cascades off my plants.Nuggets are next but they are yunger and dont produce nearleay as much. I just vaccum seal them in 1 ounce bags and pull them out of the freezer when needed.
Chaos-in-mt

Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:59 am

update: i just racked into my secondary and ended up with about 4.25 gallons (not bad considering) and checked my gravity.....1.009 wow! it's done. 5 days in the primary and it tasted pretty good. i'm going to dry hop for 3 days, crash it down and transfer to a keg. my f-up is actually turning out quite nicely since i have a party to take it to in two weeks. thanks for all the support and i don't have a counter pressure filler yet so i can't send you guys any.....yet.

jay
JayH

Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:21 pm

JayH wrote:update: i just racked into my secondary and ended up with about 4.25 gallons (not bad considering) and checked my gravity.....1.009 wow! it's done. 5 days in the primary and it tasted pretty good. i'm going to dry hop for 3 days, crash it down and transfer to a keg. my f-up is actually turning out quite nicely since i have a party to take it to in two weeks. thanks for all the support and i don't have a counter pressure filler yet so i can't send you guys any.....yet.

jay

I sent JP a bottle of brew and I don't have a counter pressure filler, so that is not an excuse for not sending homebrew. Share the wealth!

JP and Justin tried it on the BN and they seemed to like it just fine. Here is a little secret that I stumbled upon by accident. Slightly over pressurize your keg a day before filling a bottle, and when filling use a pre-chilled, emaculately sanitized bottle, and fill it with your tapper and let the bottle over fill allowing the foam to be in the neck to the top of the bottle. While it is in this over-flow state, quickly cap the bottle and put it in the refer. The C02 gas in the foam makes a natural gas barrier that keeps out air. The bottle will settle down on it's own and viola, you have bottled beer!

Another secret is bottling using plastic soda bottles. After your soda is gone, sanitize the bottle and use the bottle ONE TIME ONLY for your beer. Then recycle the bottle. It is a win-win situation, you get to bottle your homebrew and afterwards you get to cash in at the recyclers. I've given away quite a bit of homebrew in used soda bottles and I've yet to hear anyone complain about this practice. The best thing about it is that it dosen't cost you extra in empty bottle purchases. The same goes for glass bottles.

As far a fucking up a batch of homebrew, the closest thing that I've experineced to that so far is: 1) Poor sanitation practice and 2) Making a batch of brew using only DME.

I called my DME batch County Jail/Welfare Brew because it was cheap, and tasted like something brewed at the jail. (Don't bother to ask how I know this, just trust me on this one). Anyway the taste was sharp with oxidized overtones and I thought that it was the worst brew on the planet, worthy of a rating below 15 on the taste scale. Everyone that has sampled the brew however tell me that it is one of my better batches.

Shit go figure!

Anyway what the hell do I know about brewing. I'm only on batch 14 so far and my current batch is a Blue Berry fruit beer in honor of the guys on the BN. I can only hope that this batch dosen't taste like goat urine because I really don't know what I am doing as I have never done a frut beer before. Please wish me luck and pray for me, I'm going to neet it!
Know God and know peace, No God in your life, then perhaps no peace. Read Ecclesiastes 7:13-20

Cheers!
IroPino Doc
IroPino

Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:33 pm

Well JayH, I just fell victim to a similar fate. I just brewed another batch of the Victory IPA from ProMash. While I was brewing I had the bright idea of putting some of my own hops in for bittering. As we all know now, you have to multiply the quantity that is needed to get the same effect. So I replaced 1oz of dried Cascade with my own wet hops that were only harvested 2 days before then frozen and thawed on brew day. That is important because I brew 5 gallon batches, 6.5 pre-boil in a turkey fryer. With the addition of my wet hops I had a total hop bill of over 8oz! When it came time to transfer to my fermenter I couldn't get near enough hops and troub to settle. There was just too much shit in the bottom. I even did a preliminary scooping of hops with a sanitised strainer. Still not enough. The end result was a bunch of hops transfered to my carbouy after I had to fight them through the valve in the bottom of my kettle.
FUCK IT!! It's an IPA after all. To quote Doc, "How much more hoppy could it be." I think Vinnie will like this hop juice that will have beer flavoring added in. :roll:
Oh well, at least I know I'm not the first to have this.
I'm not a slacker in society. I'm an over achieving homeless person.

Drunk posting should be reserved for The RAT PAD!!
beer_bear

Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:15 pm

okay here is another update: the beer is okay, actually nice clarity and color but way too bitter and hoppy probably even for justin. i'm thinking that the low og has something to do with this? if the hoppy bitterness and flavor will mellow i'll be fine, but how long does this take? and how much can i expect?

so here's my big question.....if i am too impatient to wait for the mellowing, can i blend in like a gallon of unhopped wort made with light DME? and what gravity should i make the blend? am i in uncharted territory?

thanks

jay

ps i will actually try that bottling method
JayH

Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:18 pm

I wouldn't blend if it is any time during fermentation. I MIGHT blend two different batches once they were kegged.

Sean
Three out of four people make up 75% of the worlds population.

Sean's Brewery & House of Ill Repute
seanhagerty

Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:16 pm

fermentation is done and the beer is already kegged. what do yo think?
JayH

Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:24 pm

If you have another half empty keg you want to try blending, use a jumper and transfer it with CO2. Sanitize and make sure no aeration is introduced.

I would only do this as a last resort. I would let it sit for a month or three before I did anything like attempting to blend.

GL

Sean
Three out of four people make up 75% of the worlds population.

Sean's Brewery & House of Ill Repute
seanhagerty

PreviousNext

Return to All Grain Brewing