tannins/proteins

Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:04 pm

Hmm, I realized (after having some red wine today), that the harsh bitterness I was tasting in my second all grain batch was probably tannins. I don't know how this could be, since I never got very hot in my sparging, and I used 5.2 stabilizer. I have some relatively large clumps of what appear to be tannins/proteins floating on the top of the beer. I don't know if those are from an insufficient vorlauf, or an insufficient cold break? Could someone please offer some suggestions?
afr0byte

Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:50 pm

not sure if I can offer suggestions but you will not SEE tannins... you will see how tannins affect protiens etc.
BUB
Lunch Meet "Limpian" Gold Medalist (x2) 2006
Winner of <b>NO PANTS</b> award 2006 and 2007
Make your own beer website... starting at $10 per YEAR.
www.bubweb.com & www.momenttoponder.com
bub
Global Moderator

Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:20 pm

Where are you tasting and seeing these relatively large clumps of what appear to be tannins/proteins floating on the top of the beer? In the fermenter, keg, bottle or in a glass?
ENJOY YER BEER and let them that don't want none have memories of not havin' any!
diver

fermenter

Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:16 pm

...fermenter...
afr0byte

Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:27 pm

Well like Bub said you can't see tannins. If you used Whirlfloc sometimes coagulated chunks show up in the fermenter but that's just Whilfloc doing it's job and won't cause any harshness. If your PH and sparge temp are okay an insufficient vorlauf could cause too much grain to get in the wort causing tannins as well as over crushing the grain. Too much hop bitterness could be perceived as tannin like. It took me a lot more than two all grain batches to get my beer how I like it.
Dan
ENJOY YER BEER and let them that don't want none have memories of not havin' any!
diver

Return to All Grain Brewing