"ehrlenmeierenschachmeier"flask/starter question..

Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:39 pm

So - I just got this flask - how exactly do you do a starter with one/

do you boil with it on your stove? will it crack with the temperature???

IE - you get a starter kit from B3, put water/DME, yeast "stuff", etc. into your ehrlemeyer (sp? wtf?) and boil it on our stove? Then cool it, and then add yeast?

does this make sense?

thanks - Wood
Please let me know if my response has offended you in some way.
wood

Re: "ehrlenmeierenschachmeier"flask/starter questi

Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:03 am

RE:stove
Yup, you can boil it on your stove then straight to an ice bath. I know a guy who knows a guy who heard from a guy(you get the idea) that if you have an electric stove you might run into trouble with cracking, but I've used mine on an electric stove with no problem, ymmv. My only issue is cleaning the glass cooktop afterwords sucks. Someday I'll have a gas stove.

Yup, just add your water, DME & yeast nutrients & your good to go(boil then chill).

re:how do You do a starter with one:
You should measure your DME by weight not volume, but... I don't have a kitchen scale so I live dangerously & add about 3/4 cup dme to about 1000ml water(usually gets me in the 1.040 ballpark) & yeast nutrients as per the directions on the yeast nutes container. I boil for 10 minutes then chill then O2 then pitch yeast & put on my stirplate(they're cheap n not to hard to make).
The more I learn, the more I know, theres a lot more I don't know.
Sherlock

Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:26 am

As to the hot and cold, you SHOULDN'T have to worry about this as you should have a Pyrex or Brocilicate (im sure that's not spelled correctly) glass flask... This type of glass is made specificly to withstand thermal shock.
BUB
Lunch Meet "Limpian" Gold Medalist (x2) 2006
Winner of <b>NO PANTS</b> award 2006 and 2007
Make your own beer website... starting at $10 per YEAR.
www.bubweb.com & www.momenttoponder.com
bub
Global Moderator

Re: "ehrlenmeierenschachmeier"flask/starter questi

Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:15 am

Sherlock wrote:RE:stove
My only issue is cleaning the glass cooktop afterwords sucks. Someday I'll have a gas stove.

I have a gas stove and it STILL sucks, especially when it boils over and gets into all the nooks and crannys, and then bakes in from the heat. Impossible to get it all off.

Now I use the B3 foam retardant stuff and I don't have any more boilover problems. If you don't have it, or don't want to use it, I would boil in a big enough saucepan to control boil overs, cool and transfer to sanitized Ehrlenmeyershnizel thingy. The narrow neck in the flask makes boilovers a BEYATCH!

:)
Speyedr

Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:13 am

Borosilicate can withstand thermal shocks up to 160 degrees. I go straight from an electric burner to ice water with no issues.

BTW, you mean the sound of sizzling wort is not the alarm clock to let you know it's boiling?
rich

Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:48 pm

My method of using a flask is pretty simple. I sanitize my flask, open a quart jar of my canned starter wort, pour in in the flask and pitch my yeast.

Couldn't help bragging about my new toy (a pressure cooker). :D

Seriously, this way I only need to make a batch of starter (all grain) every couple of months. Simplifies making starters and no boilovers to worry about.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:13 pm

So - is it neccesary to do an yeast starter for a 1.050 OG batch when I am using WL yeast? They take about 10 hours to get going with my current setup. is 1000 way too much for a starter?

I have many yeast questions now...

thanks
Please let me know if my response has offended you in some way.
wood

Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:11 pm

wood wrote:So - is it neccesary to do an yeast starter for a 1.050 OG batch when I am using WL yeast? They take about 10 hours to get going with my current setup. is 1000 way too much for a starter?

I have many yeast questions now...

thanks

I would say it's just about right, though Mr. Malty might say otherwise.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Next

Return to All Grain Brewing