I was going for a simple singe infusion mash ...

Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:47 pm

Guys, I guess I pulled my 1st Justin today:

Still being in temporary housing, I thought I'll brew another batch so I will have home brew when I'm in the new house. Since this will be 2 weeks from now I thought I do another Weissbier. I already brewed the recipe once with an step mash which included a ferulic acid rest. The beer came out with a nice clove aroma, as I intended. Now I wanted to brew the same recipe with a single infusion mash so I can compare and justify the more elaborate mash schedule.

The recipe calls for 60% wheat and 40% pilsner malt.

It started with the fact that I went to a different home brew store and that I had to watch our 2-year old. Once in the store I was told that they are out of light wheat, but that I can substitue with dark wheat. So I do that and take 6lb of wheat and 4lb of pilsner. Usually I don't need 10lb of grain for a 12P 5.5 gal batch, but I don't have a scale at home and wouldn't have a problem with the excess wort.

Now I have to mill the stuff. When I put the grains in the mill I noticed that some of them fell through. That can't be good went through my head. And after milling lots of the wheat kernels weren't even boken. I tried to adjust the mill, but it didn't seem to work. Meanwhile my daughter is starting to destroy the store and I need to rush.

When I milled the pilner I notice that most of the husks are shredded. Once in the car I started thinking about the poor crush and how this will effect the efficiency and the sparging. I don't use rice hulls for sparging since I never had problems sparging up to 60% wheat. So I decide to add a protein rest and with it a decoction to the mash. The decoction is expected to help with the poorly crushed grain and the flow of the sparge.

So I pull a decoction 20min after the start of the protein rest and give it some time to convert since it contains a significant portion of the grains. Then I let it boil for 20min. Now we are not talking about a weissbier anymore. It's more of a Dunkelweizen now. 40 min after pulling the deoction I combine the mashes to get to 65.5C. No problem there since I don't dump all of the decoction in at once.

40 min into the saccrification rest I look at the mash again and see that the decoction didn't help breaking some of the uncrushed grains open and I take a hydrometer sample. The first wort measures at about 16P, wich is, based on previous mashes, to low to get me to a target gravity of 12P for 5.5 gal. Since I don't have DME around anymore I decide to add some of the malt that I have left over from a previous batch. In go ~1lb of Munic and ~2lb of Pale Malt.

After 3 hrs of mashing I started sparing and it got stuck pretty fast. Luckily I batch sparge and have to stir the mash once in a while anyway.
After an hour of batch sparging (usually takes only 20-30 min) I have 25L pre boil wort at 10P. This can give me a 11.5P wort after 70 min boiling, but my efficiency was a mere 55%. I'm usually in the high 70s for 12P worts.

Needless to say that I will soon get my own mill (as planned) and all these worries should be gone. The grains for the last batch were ground at a different HBS with a Phill Mill 2 and I had an efficiency of >80%. So I might get one of those. I also liked how the crush looked.

The crush that I had for this batch looked as if it was done with a food processor :(

now back to brewing :)

Kai
Kaiser

Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:39 am

what kind of mill was used this time....
I use a schmidling and love it (non adjustable... works fine even with wheat)
BUB
Lunch Meet "Limpian" Gold Medalist (x2) 2006
Winner of <b>NO PANTS</b> award 2006 and 2007
Make your own beer website... starting at $10 per YEAR.
www.bubweb.com & www.momenttoponder.com
bub
Global Moderator

Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:48 am

bub wrote:what kind of mill was used this time....
I use a schmidling and love it (non adjustable... works fine even with wheat)
BUB

I don't know what the mill was. It looked weird to me and I didn't see any rollers when I looked down the hopper.

I found the Schmidling while I was looking around this morning. It looks like a geat value for the money. Most of the other mills only have fairly narrow rollers, but this one has rollers as wide as the bucket. I'm leaning towards the fully adjustable model, knowing that I shouldn't outgrow this ever.

Kai
Kaiser

Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:07 am

The difference in the adjustable and non is like $20... but even Jack Schmidling says the non is just fine... he did some experiments on effiency and the difference was minimal... so either way you go you will be fine. Knowing that you are an anal German I'm sure you will go with the adjustable :D
BUB
Lunch Meet "Limpian" Gold Medalist (x2) 2006
Winner of <b>NO PANTS</b> award 2006 and 2007
Make your own beer website... starting at $10 per YEAR.
www.bubweb.com & www.momenttoponder.com
bub
Global Moderator

Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:42 pm

bub wrote:The difference in the adjustable and non is like $20... but even Jack Schmidling says the non is just fine... he did some experiments on effiency and the difference was minimal... so either way you go you will be fine. Knowing that you are an anal German I'm sure you will go with the adjustable :D
BUB

I'll probably will, since I also want to experiment with moistening the grain before crushing it. This is said to allow for a even finer chrush w/o shredding the husks. And as you said, it's just $20. But I can already see myself changing it one and never again ;)

BTW, I had no signs of fermentation after ~18hrs. So I just pitched WLP 001 that I had kept in the fridge from the last batch. There goes the German Hefeweizen intent.

Kai
Kaiser

Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:36 pm

Kaiser wrote:I'll probably will, since I also want to experiment with moistening the grain before crushing it. This is said to allow for a even finer chrush w/o shredding the husks. And as you said, it's just $20. But I can already see myself changing it one and never again ;)

The difference is actually $45, which is about 40% more. Getting just the simple one seems like a better choice right now.

Kai
Kaiser

Return to All Grain Brewing