question about yeast starter...

Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:46 am

I am going to be brewing a 6 gallon (pre-boil) batch of 1.096 beer. According to Jamil's calculator, I need about 5 1/2 L of yeast. What is the best way to end up with this much?

Pitch one vial to ~5L or wort?
Pitch one vial each to ~2.5L of wort (X2 starters)?
make a 1L starter and step it up to 5L?

I'm also confused whether Jamil's calculator means I need 5 1/2 L of starter or of the actual yeast (once the extra is decanted?)

Thanks!
Jon
Jon H.
Nashville, TN
jhicker

Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:55 am

Can you brew a lower gravity "starter" beer? Make something 1.045 or so and then harvest the slurry from that for your big beer.

Cheers,
Push Eject
Asshat of the Year ('06)
Proud Drunk of the Year Nominee ('08)
Beevo, "I burned my tongue."
Doc, "Slow down."
Gadgets
CoVBS
Push Eject
Butcher

Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:02 am

you need the yeast From the 5L... not 5L of yeast
BUB
Lunch Meet "Limpian" Gold Medalist (x2) 2006
Winner of <b>NO PANTS</b> award 2006 and 2007
Make your own beer website... starting at $10 per YEAR.
www.bubweb.com & www.momenttoponder.com
bub
Global Moderator

Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:38 pm

Push Eject wrote:Can you brew a lower gravity "starter" beer? Make something 1.045 or so and then harvest the slurry from that for your big beer.

Cheers,
Push Eject

No time for that this time. I just looked closer at Jamil's site and it looks like he is pretty sure you can pitch one vial into 4L of wort and end up with around 400 billion cells. So, it appears this is probably the easiest thing to do, or I could pitch 1 vial each into two separate 2L starters if I want to be safe.
Jon H.
Nashville, TN
jhicker

Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:08 pm

im doing a similar beer, what i have done is made a starter with a 10 gal batch of a coopers kit.......this way the slurry is very clean, no trub, no hops
Thank God All Mighty For Titties and Beer
Ozbrewer

Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:56 pm

Ozbrewer wrote:im doing a similar beer, what i have done is made a starter with a 10 gal batch of a coopers kit.......this way the slurry is very clean, no trub, no hops

I agree with Oz. If you have a week or so ferment out a 1.5 gallon starter in a carboy. The yeast is so clean and you get a ton of it.

I tend to start with 1 vile or so and grow it up. If I am doing lagers I start a couple of weeks ahead and ferment out two starters. I repitch the yeast from the first starter into the second, growing it up from there.

For example. One vile into a 2000 mil flask. After a week take that yeast and pitch it into a 2 gallon starter. This is where a carboy may come in handy.

One other note. If you can crash the temp down a day or two before each pitch you will get the most yeast. None will be left in suspension.

If not...go ahead and pitch that WHOLE starter. Just make sure you have enough room in your carboy.

Carlo
hopbumpingbrewer

Return to All Grain Brewing