Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:38 pm

Drained them into a pot and put them on the stove. Then added them back in.

My gravity was high, I should say...

The kit says the anticipated OG is 1.040. I ended up with somewhere in the mid 50's and diluted down with distilled water.

Maybe Im just paranoid over nothing...
http://www.thirstymallard.wordpress.com

"If beer and women aren't the answer, then you're asking the wrong questions." -Anonymous

BN Army Corporal; Southern Support - Gulf Coast Division

Texas is better than your state. Fact.
Thirsty Mallard

Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:46 pm

Probably right. It will probably be fine.
Speyedr

Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:45 pm

from you experienced guys, is it possible that if he completely drained it and heated to over 70c that he killed the enzymes preventing any further conversion?
kegged-one light summer ale
kegged- one ordinary bitter
bottled- celebration ale
fermenting- ordinary bitter
brewsters millionths

Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:55 am

We do Fahrenheit around here :lol:, but assuming 70c is high (just kidding) yeah some of them would be denatured, but there should still be more left in the mash. That might account for the "close but no quite" gravity.

Low temps could have had a LOT of beta going until the temp got up to 156, by which time most of the enzymes may have denatured from the "decoction" (of sorts). Basically, maybe made a LOT of highly fermentable sugars in the beginning and then stopped it short. All if this is a guess though... I don't know dick about this hobby.

JRoche, what's your gravity now?
Speyedr

Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:55 am

I bottled it at 1.015. I cut down the priming sugar by about an eigth, and things seem to be fine. No bottle bombs and just right on the carbonation.

I would imagine it was my ill fated accidental decoction mash that gave me the odd conclusion.

Oh well... I was going to try to enter it in competition, but I will wait for my Amarillo By Morning Pale Ale instead.
http://www.thirstymallard.wordpress.com

"If beer and women aren't the answer, then you're asking the wrong questions." -Anonymous

BN Army Corporal; Southern Support - Gulf Coast Division

Texas is better than your state. Fact.
Thirsty Mallard

Previous

Return to All Grain Brewing