Re: Tasty: Driving Fermentation and Lagers

Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:36 pm

Stomatopod wrote:
12stones wrote:Just popping this back up for those just catching up on the Doc/Tasty lagering methods show.

Which show is this one?

Thanks,
-G

It was the Dortmunder experiment. Listen to the Philly Beer Week episode for part of it. Not sure what the other specific episodes are besides that one.
12stones

Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:45 pm

OK, so I have a pretty extensive rig (1/2bbl HERMs PID controlled) and just did a Dunkel. Day from HELL what with the rain (used an umbrella to shield the boil kettle) but collected 17gals at 1.054 and chilled to 74 b4 adding 02, then dropped to 65 to pitch Wyeast Bav Lager and drop again to 54f.

Now, here's the question; Although using a HERMs system, I triple decocted. 8-10qts each time. Mashed in at 122f and 1qt/lb then added 15qts water after 1st decoction before entering the sach rest at 145, then decocted again and raised to 156f and once again at mashout.

How will this ferment schedule affect a decocted mash, has anyone baselined it?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w40yobn3ud6ljjy/0720151855a.jpg?dl=0 >Thanks OZWALD<
Last edited by ShaunG on Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
ShaunG

Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:50 pm

Is 54F as far down as you took that one for the chilling and beginning of fermentation? How long do you plan on keeping it here and what schedule do you plan on following? I don't see why the manner of wort production would be affected by fermentation schedule (except perhaps in FG).
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:22 pm

after further reading, it looked like everyone was shooting for a 54f ferment temp by dropping to 50f and relying on the yeast activity to bring it to 54f

My fermenters have SS coils inside for temp regulation, so I just set the PID for 54 and it pretty well stays at 54.
I would post pics of the rig but the system won't let me yet :( I'll have to contribute some more.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind giving the accelerated method a shot, but with decocted mashes I would want to be SURE the yeast was finished and not just tired...

I dropped another 3 smakpaks of wyeast in this morning and now have activity; I'll be CERTAIN to use a HUGE starter next time I do a Lager!

S~
ShaunG

Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:17 pm

You have to post your photos somewhere else & use the IMG tags to link to them. I use Photobucket, because it's free & I've been using it forever. There's a ton of other free photo hosting sites out there you could use as well. Any thing that gives you a direct link to your photo.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:30 am

Ok thats easy enough i keep them all on the NAS anyway.

As an update, i pulled a sample and have had it at room temp 24hrs and its dropped to 1.020 Ill see how low it goes and adjust the next one accordingly!
ShaunG

Previous

Return to All Grain Brewing