What about Mashing the Night Before?

Wed May 24, 2006 1:37 pm

Can you mash the night before and then start your boil in the morning?
BrewBlender
Portland, Oregon
BrewBlender

Wed May 24, 2006 3:18 pm

A very silly place... http://yarnzombie.net/Travis/

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-Dave Barry
Lufah

Wed May 24, 2006 3:34 pm

From what I read about activity of the amylases I would expect the wort from a very long mash to be highly fermentable (only limit dextrines left). If there is significant alpha amylase activity in the begining, all starch should have been split so that alpha and beta amylase can work on converting it to fermentable sugars. Given enough time and assuming that not all of the enzymes are destroyed by the temperature in the beginning (especially the beta amylase) there shouldn't be many dextrines left in the morning. If this is your goal, this mash should work for you.

Kai
Kaiser

Wed May 24, 2006 3:39 pm

Great article...thanks!

So it basically says if you can keep your mash in the proper temp-range, you're ok to let it sit overnight and sparge in the morning.

What about sparging the night before and letting the wort sit overnight?
Then wake up early and start boiling? Would you have to keep the Wort above 150?
BrewBlender
Portland, Oregon
BrewBlender

Wed May 24, 2006 4:11 pm

BrewBlender wrote:So it basically says if you can keep your mash in the proper temp-range, you're ok to let it sit overnight and sparge in the morning.

Even in the proper temp range your mash should produce a very well attenuative wort as the attenuation of the wort is a function of temp and time (and other parameters).

What about sparging the night before and letting the wort sit overnight?
Then wake up early and start boiling? Would you have to keep the Wort above 150?

I have heads different opinions on this. Some say it is ok if you boil the wort for at least 10min and make sure that you cover it in a way that keeps the germs out. Others have experienced it going sour. Keeping it above 150F may help against the danger of infection.

I guess it is worth a try ;)

Kai
Kaiser

Return to All Grain Brewing