Re: mash tun thermal mass

Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:03 am

seanhagerty wrote:I want to make an attempt to shorten my brew days a bit..one of the things im looking at is how i mash. In the past i have preheated my mash tun by putting boiling water in there and letting it sit while the strike water heats to temp. I have used promash to set the temp of my strike water with the thermal mass of my mash tun set to zero. I want to stop preheating my mash tun but dont know what the default value is for a thermal mass. Any one have any idea where to start with this?

I went through the same thing...preheating the cooler just seemed like a waste of time when all I had to do was heat the water a bit more to compensate. I use .13 for my 48 qt. cooler and hit my temps every time.
Denny

Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:05 pm

I think I got it finaly, I have a 70Q thick walled cooler, Pro Mash thermal mass setting 0.025.

Tim
TimCA

Previous

Return to All Grain Brewing