Mon May 15, 2006 9:07 pm

Nice hat code.

HH
Anderson Valley Brewing Co. (Bahl hornin')

Hell Freezes over show
" I am gunna guess this is an IPA. Its the same color as one and kinda tastes like one"
Dr Scott 8:10 pm Sunday Jan. 14th, 2007
Homegrown Hops

Re: Fly Sparging Idea

Sun May 28, 2006 12:06 pm

codewritinfool wrote:I came up with this idea after talking with Krotch. No idea if it has been done or not... I'm still gathering equipment for all grain, so it is possible that I haven't a clue what I'm talking about - please keep that in mind and pardon the artwork. I normally do better but I'm drunk at the moment.

Krotch fly-sparges and was telling me about how he adjusts his mash tun valve and his sparge valve carefully so that out = in. Like this:

My (bright?) idea was to take the mash tun output hose and instead of running it through a valve into the boil kettle, just raise it up the side of the mash tun so that the water level in the hose before it goes downhill equals the water-over-grain level, like this:

The beauty of this is that the level in the hose would equal the level in the mash tun. As you add sparge water, the mash tun hose would just overflow and keep up. It'd need an air port to prevent siphons, but I don't see why this won't work just great. The advantage is that you'd only adjust the sparge water valve and the mash tun output would automatically equal it.
If you want to empty the mash tun at the end just lower the hose. No more dual-valve jockeying during the sparge...

Am I nuts? Am I drunk? (don't answer that last question) ...and if you fly sparge, don't comment since this doesn't apply to you.

You would still have to adjust the hot water flow. You would gain little unless you automate the hot water flow. Maybe as simple as a float valve for the out put of the hot water tank.You wont even have to set your beer down.But then again Im drunk also :lol:
Chaos-in-mt

Re: Fly Sparging Idea

Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:44 pm

Chaos-in-mt wrote:Maybe as simple as a float valve for the out put of the hot water tank.You wont even have to set your beer down.But then again Im drunk also :lol:

Actually I like the idea of an automatic float valve. I'm going to scour my auto parts store and see if they or the Home Depot might have something that could be adapted for that purpose. I guess it would be a good idea to put on on the output side as well. I'll let you know if it goes good.
I'm not a slacker in society. I'm an over achieving homeless person.

Drunk posting should be reserved for The RAT PAD!!
beer_bear

Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:18 am

I didn't realize adjusting the flow in and out of the mash tun was such a hassle.
I brew, therefore I am.
Mr. Big

Previous

Return to All Grain Brewing