Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:01 am

Thats something I need to look at, I have rigidly stuck to the 90 min boil.

I don't see any reason not to adjust that to fit the situation or the graivity of the situation.(HAHA) Thanks for the idea guys.

Sean
Three out of four people make up 75% of the worlds population.

Sean's Brewery & House of Ill Repute
seanhagerty

Fri May 05, 2006 9:02 pm

Though I haven't dialed it in quite yet, I'm headed in the same direction as Lufah. I'm taking pre-boil samples, cooling and checking just about the time the boil starts. So far, I've been sticking to a boil time, and monitoring the consistency of my boil off rate. I have that dialed in pretty well, exept for the occasional extra large batch (13 gallon pre-boil) that taxes my ability to go full power on the burner. Next step will be to adjust my boil time before first hop addition to compensate for the gravity variations. I still struggle a bit with my batch sparge water addition amounts to get exactly where I'm targeting for initial volume and OG. Bouncing around from 12 to 26 lbs of grain per batch has lead me to be less consistent than I want to be regarding the volume and OG balancing act. Unfortunately I don't seem to get the chance to brew frequently enough to run the same (or similar) recipe back to back to back to dial it in like I'd like to. Maybe soon! I don't fret about it too much, aim for the middle of the range for style, and usually end up at least somewhere close!
Ratboy

Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:27 am

Ratboy wrote:... Unfortunately I don't seem to get the chance to brew frequently enough to run the same (or similar) recipe back to back to back to dial it in like I'd like to. Maybe soon! I don't fret about it too much, aim for the middle of the range for style, and usually end up at least somewhere close!

I have the same problem with the frequency of my brewing. But I'm just taking too many notes and having to go with that. I write down everything from the usual info like boil times and such to the time that I had a boil over. I even write down how long it takes to get my wort to a boil. Then on the same paper, I write how long it fermented, SG, FG and bottling times.....bla bla bla bla. You get the idea. That's all I can do until I can brew as much as Jamile and Dr. Scott. Just a suggestion. It works for now.
I'm not a slacker in society. I'm an over achieving homeless person.

Drunk posting should be reserved for The RAT PAD!!
beer_bear

Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:13 am

I don't try to tweak recipes in, I try to figure out how my system works overall. Then when I brew after that, I can get close with my gravities and volumes. I'm not trying to hit every recipe dead on every time, close is good enough for me.

Well, that and I try not to have to walk home after a night of drinking.

Sean
Three out of four people make up 75% of the worlds population.

Sean's Brewery & House of Ill Repute
seanhagerty

Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:57 am

I'm with you Sean. The more I try to tweak a recipe once it is well underway, the more I screw it up. I usually take a refractometer reading a couple times during the boil to figure out just how much longer I need to boil to get to my target OG. I use this figure to time my late hop additions. That is about all I will change once I get things going.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:02 am

To get your gravity fast from hot wort, could you not dilute the it down by a set amount of tap water and then just calculate.. eg 50ml hot wort @ 80C + 50ml tap water then multiply the gravity by 2 ?

No risk of cracking the hydrometer and you dont have to wait for it to cool.

Note: I haven't tried this... I am flat out remembering to take gravities at all
Thirsty Boy

Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:38 am

I'm not sure of the correct ratio settings but yes you can do something like this, I remember having to do that with dog urine once.... don't ask
BUB
Lunch Meet "Limpian" Gold Medalist (x2) 2006
Winner of <b>NO PANTS</b> award 2006 and 2007
Make your own beer website... starting at $10 per YEAR.
www.bubweb.com & www.momenttoponder.com
bub
Global Moderator

Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:50 pm

I'm always worried about sparging too much, so I am constantly taking readings durring the sparge. I'll get some of the current flow in the hydro tube and drop it in a big cup of icy/salt water and stir it up with the probe of a digital thermometer. It usualy cools to about 105-95 in 2 min. then I use the handy sheet that came with the hydometer to compensate.
one_eye

PreviousNext

Return to All Grain Brewing