Re: Motorizing my Barley Crusher

Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:42 pm

foomench wrote:
bcmaui wrote:I've thought of this (and wet milling) but was afraid the condensation coming off of the mash tun would create a long term rust problem on the steel rollers on my mill.
Should have gotten stainless steel rollers. No, I didn't get them either.
Stainless would be very expensive to machine I would imagine, and much more costly than the Barley Crusher or Monster Mill or all the other homebrewing mills out there which I assume are all regular steel. Or is there a stainless mill out there for homebrewers?
bcmaui

Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:40 pm

I am coming in way late here. I use a drill and have no issues with extra crush OR tearing on the husk.

I have gone slowly with the hand crank and then full speed with the drill and when I put the crush side by side I couldn't see a difference.

EDI* Mind you that is with MY drill and MY mill, your experiences might be different. I would always suggest to do 1 lb of each side by side and see what happens on your system.
Kacey

Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:20 am

bcmaui wrote:Or is there a stainless mill out there for homebrewers?

Crankandstein has stainless options, e.g. http://www.crankandstein.net/index.php? ... 9f18ddc0a3
Aging: Gotlandsdrickå, Baltic Porter in Bourbon barrel, Olde Ale #2 in whiskey barrel
On Draft: Nothing. Building a walk-in cooler right now.
foomench

Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:23 pm

I've been using this mill for about a year with this motorized setup. I've ran maybe 300#s of grain through it.

I've had the occasional feeding problem, but it's starting to have more problems feeding grains.

I contacted the manufacter and they responded in a few days with the following.
Take the free roller out and clean the sides of the roller and bushings with some light veg. oil. Then make sure the both rollers are free of debris using a wire brush.

This kind of worked, but I noticed when I put it back together that the mill when attached to the base binds the housing. This stops the free roller from turning easily. I had to open my gap a bit as well.

I'm still having issues, so I contacted them again last week. I sent another email last night because I haven't heard anything yet.
dunleav1

Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:47 pm

They got back and gave me a suggestion that corrected the problem.
They recommended to give the mill housing some taps with a mallet to move it back to square.
I had to really give the plate some encouragement but this ended up working for me.

I may be looking into building new side plates because the ones with the mill are rather thin. I think this
is the design issue that could be corrected with a thicker or more rigid side plate.
dunleav1

Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:29 am

Mylo wrote:Send Boog a PM. He has responded to this kinda post all the time with a decently priced gear motor.

Who is Boog?
HEY~!! It's a hobby~!! It's NOT supposed to make sense~!!
Cliff

Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:34 am

Cliff wrote:
Mylo wrote:Send Boog a PM. He has responded to this kinda post all the time with a decently priced gear motor.

Who is Boog?

Mylo is talking about bugeater in the forum
The only soldier in the BN ARMY with Ink on his legs promoting The Brewing network and BN ARMY. Prost

"The BNA is my therapist." Mickp
Henning1966

Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:49 am

Just got done motorizing my mill. I used the motor that Bug had recommended and it works like a charm. Now before you start let me say "Shove it up your ass" I will gets pics up shortly.
blinddog

PreviousNext

Return to All Grain Brewing