herms coil as a chiller

Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:56 pm

I upgraded my herms coil from 25' x 3/8" to 50' x 1/2" and was wanting to double use it as a chiller in a recirculating loop. Any reason why this is a bad idea? After I run wort through it during the mash, I plan to run hot water through it to clean it out. After it is flushed out, I would then boil it for the last 10 mins and then chill.
La Ola es Mio!
SoCal Surfer

Re: herms coil as a chiller

Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:01 pm

Sounds reasonable to me. Stainless tubing is stainless tubing, no reason it can't do dual purpose.

Is it mounted in the kettle or is it something that you can take in and out (like an immersion chiller)?
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:59 am

NateBrews wrote:Sounds reasonable to me. Stainless tubing is stainless tubing, no reason it can't do dual purpose.

Is it mounted in the kettle or is it something that you can take in and out (like an immersion chiller)?

It is a morebeer immersion chiller. I had to go copper though due to some size issues. He he
SoCal Surfer

Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:08 am

In either case, I think it should be fine. I don't know that you need to clean it before using it as an chiller, since you are going to dump loads of rinse water though it.
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:16 pm

Should be fine.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Return to All Grain Brewing