Re: Who is brewing, right now?

Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:28 pm

Two today. Kimchi Cucumber Berliner and Janet's Brown.
Daughter made kimchi a few months ago, took some of the juice and added it to some wort. Let it go for a week or so, then did it again. Pitched that into the wort at about 100F today. Going to pitch WY1007 tonight or tomorrow.
What can I say about Janet's??? Thank you Tasty! :jnj
Gimme oysters and beer (and Durian) for dinner every day of the year...
mike____

Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:20 am

Whipped up a Helles Exportbier. Chilling to 48F with my recirc pump is a bit easier now. Especially when its freakin' 88F out! Going to reuse this yeast for a nice big Dopplebock (WL 833).
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:21 pm

Well, that Kolsch I made is terrible. It has some flavor in it that I can't identify but it is bad. I had the same thing happen (same flavor) on a oktoberfest I made a year or two ago. I brought it to my homebrew shop and they were no help identifying it. I don't know if something got into it or what, I did all the same crap as usual.

I would also think if it was infection that the gravity would be wrong, but it ended where I expected it to. It hasn't cold conditioned yet, but if the oktoberfest is any indicator, it won't matter.

Lame...
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:38 am

Brewing up Tasty's Session APA but with a bit of rye and an oz of pulverized roast malt to make it red. Using Cascade, Columbus, and Amarillo.

NateBrews

Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:11 pm

Currently kettle souring a mango berliner weisse I mashed yesterday. I'll boil it tomorrow. Today I brewed an old ale.
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:30 pm

How are you doing the mango? puree at the end of the ferment?

NateBrews

Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:23 pm

NateBrews wrote:Well, that Kolsch I made is terrible. It has some flavor in it that I can't identify but it is bad. I had the same thing happen (same flavor) on a oktoberfest I made a year or two ago. I brought it to my homebrew shop and they were no help identifying it. I don't know if something got into it or what, I did all the same crap as usual.

I would also think if it was infection that the gravity would be wrong, but it ended where I expected it to. It hasn't cold conditioned yet, but if the oktoberfest is any indicator, it won't matter.

Lame...

Is it a phenolic off-note or sour? If phenolic, then most likely wild yeast. And that would take some time for them to consume extra sugars dropping the FG, so you probably wouldn't observe that in a normal 2 wk conditioning. If sour, then bacteria is your culprit.
Did you pick up any off-flavors in your kolsch yeast starter prior to pitching?
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:31 pm

It isn't sour, more phenolic if anything. I apologize for my shitty palate description ability. However, it is only 3.5 weeks old, and the kolsch yeast did a normal vigorous fermentation from OG down to the expected FG and it hasn't changed since then (so, stable for 2 weeks or so). Given that, it doesn't seem likely that it is a wild yeast. The only thing I can think is that I had to wait for 6 hours or so for the chamber to get it down to 58 from 67 before I pitched, but I have done that loads of times with various lagers and had no problems.

I'm going to bring it into my homebrew shop and see what they think of it. I'm wondering if maybe the yeast left something behind and I'm just not recognizing it. I might try using some other yeast (us-05 maybe) to krausen it and see if it scrubs it out.

NateBrews

PreviousNext

Return to All Grain Brewing