Re: Who is brewing, right now?

Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:31 am

NateBrews wrote:Oktoberfest...ish

Using maris otter and munich as the base malts and then some character malt. Bittering with some Super Styrian, I think a little tab will do ya. Should be about 5.8% when it is done, and a malty hug of goodness.

6.75lb Maris Otter
3.25lb Munich dark
1lb melanoidin
0.25lb caramunich II

1oz Super Styrian @ 50min (24 IBU)

Wyeast 2308.

Without the pilsner malt in there, I'm only boiling for 60 minutes. It seems like there isn't any need for the long boil with the higher kilned malt. Running the mash off, the color was a wonderful copper orange.

sounds good Nate. 60 min boil will be just fine for that. Those super styrians are pretty strong in the flavor/aroma dept aren't they? I have also really been digging 2308 for lagers lately.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:09 am

Last Tuesday I brewed the Oud Brun recipe from BCS. I racked yesterday and pitched the Roselare culture. SG was 1.020 yesterday and it's bubbling away now.
"The word unblowupable is tossed around a lot these days..."
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:03 am

Christmas Alt with Northern Brewer and Polaris hops.
Then Columbus Day IPA. All CTZ.
:jnj
Gimme oysters and beer (and Durian) for dinner every day of the year...
mike____

Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:46 am

Nice malty scottish export for fall. 1.055 OG with about 20 IBU's. Wort was crystal clear going into the carboy. Will ferment around 60F to keep it nice and clean. Reusing the yeast on a big Wee Heavy I will brew on Halloween.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:33 am

Barleywine that is going to go in to a bourbon barrel. Target OG of 1.119. Heating strike water now.

Sent from my ME302KL using Tapatalk
1beerbaron

Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:15 am

No brewing per say, but kegged up an 18 mos old Flanders Red. For the last 4 months it has been aging with oak cubes that were soaked in cabernet sauvignon. Dried out to 1.006FG and the sample tasted pretty good.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:02 pm

Pulled a sample from my Scottish 80/- that I brewed about 6 weeks ago I've been aging it with some oak chips infused with Jameson. Tastes great!! Now I just have to finish off one the kegs in the kegerator so I can put this on tap.

In other news, I do have a barleywine still in the fermentation fridge. That one started out with an O.G. of 1.145. Should finish out at around 16% :shock: . Should be ready to drink around this time next year.
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:13 pm

Making a Best Bitter. Basically the same as the bitter I always make but I tossed a bit more base malt at it. Had to rebrew before christmas because the last batch turned out like a pile of farts and eggs. I had tried some of that Low Oxygen brewing stuff and also tried that new Lallemand dry ESB yeast. Anyway, it is cloudy as hell and smells bad.

I tried bubbling CO2 though it which helped a little, also tried using a copper rod to stip the H2S out. After all that it is much better, but still has quite a fart to it when you drink it. I'm not into having people fart in my mouth anymore so I just had to remake it the way I always do.

7lb Maris Otter
.5lb C40
.5lb Flaked Barley
3.5oz Amber
3.5oz Victory
1.5oz C120

1oz Aurora @ 40
1oz EKG @ 5
1oz EKG @ dry hop

Wyeast 1968

OG: 1.043
FG: your mom