Re: Who is brewing, right now?

Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:53 am

Be wary for a quick clearing with 2565. That strain is extremely powdery and does NOT drop out well, even with a healthy dose of gelatin. For example, I brewed a cream ale with this strain, dosed it with gelatin, and a month of lagering at 35F. While it is pouring clear, it still is not brilliant yet.
I repitched the yeast into a kolsch, gel'd it, and now this one has been lagering for about 3.5 wks at 35 too. I am going to pull my first pint tonight and I am not expecting it to be clear. It really is the toughest yeast I have ever used to get brilliant. Almost takes at least 4 wks of lagering with gelatin, somtimes 6!
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:51 pm

mike____ wrote:Two today. Kimchi Cucumber Berliner and Janet's Brown.
Daughter made kimchi a few months ago, took some of the juice and added it to some wort. Let it go for a week or so, then did it again. Pitched that into the wort at about 100F today. Going to pitch WY1007 tonight or tomorrow.
What can I say about Janet's??? Thank you Tasty! :jnj

Bottling the Janet's tonight. Realized I haven't bottled in 2+ years. What will I forget? :shock:
Gimme oysters and beer (and Durian) for dinner every day of the year...
mike____

Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:31 pm

mike____ wrote:
Daughter made kimchi a few months ago, took some of the juice and added it to some wort. Let it go for a week or so, then did it again. Pitched that into the wort at about 100F today. Going to pitch WY1007 tonight or tomorrow.

Bottling the Janet's tonight. Realized I haven't bottled in 2+ years. What will I forget? :shock:

Priming sugar in bottom of bucket first before racking beer on top.

Sanitize caps and capper.

Physically scrub your bottle insides well prior to sanitizing.

Keep'em warm after bottling for 2 wks (70-75F).

Send a bottle to me....

Brewing up a big Dopplebock tomorrow. Hope my mashtun can handle it!
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:22 pm

Tried the kolsch again today and after a yeast slug came out, it is nice and clear and tastes pretty reasonable. The aroma is pretty sweet (like that sweet pilsner malt smell) but the flavor isn't. Unfortunately, I have it in my head that it should pretty much taste like a pilsner, which the yeast character is not. The flavor is a bit fruity and grainy. The hops are plainly there, probably too intense but it isn't objectionable (to me anyway).
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:46 am

Me! Making a cali common and I am adding some cold brew coffee after primary.
OddballBrewer

Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:21 am

How did that kimchi berliner turn out? How much of the juice did you use? Been thinking of doing this myself.
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:34 pm

Oktoberfest...ish

Using maris otter and munich as the base malts and then some character malt. Bittering with some Super Styrian, I think a little tab will do ya. Should be about 5.8% when it is done, and a malty hug of goodness.

6.75lb Maris Otter
3.25lb Munich dark
1lb melanoidin
0.25lb caramunich II

1oz Super Styrian @ 50min (24 IBU)

Wyeast 2308.

Without the pilsner malt in there, I'm only boiling for 60 minutes. It seems like there isn't any need for the long boil with the higher kilned malt. Running the mash off, the color was a wonderful copper orange.
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:52 pm

Bugeater wrote:

How did that kimchi berliner turn out? How much of the juice did you use? Been thinking of doing this myself.

It's pretty good. Really nice cucumber flavor. I'd like more kimchi, however. Very little heat or flavor from it.
I did about .5 c of the kimchi juice and 1.5 c of wort. Then strained that through a hop bag to get most of the stuff out and added it back to about 2 c of fresh wort. Both steps I ran for about a week.
It was a 3 gallon batch.
After about a week I added 2 cucumbers that I had peeled, seeded and roughly chopped. I think I would just puree it next time. Dumping the pieces into the carboy wasn't pretty.
Left it on the cucumber for 10 days, then kegged.
I need to try adding a little kimchi juice to a glass of the beer.
Gimme oysters and beer (and Durian) for dinner every day of the year...
mike____

PreviousNext

Return to All Grain Brewing