Re: Who is brewing, right now?

Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:36 pm

crazymonkey15 wrote:
mike____ wrote:Brewing a "funky" Pale Ale.
Extract Pilsner and Gold (from Northern Brewer), Nelson Sauvin and Meridian hops (from NikoBrew), Omega Yeast Bring On Da Funk.
2 days into fermentation. Lots of tropical/pineapple flavor.
First brew since November. :jnj

How did that Omega Yeast turn out?

Looking back, my notes mention pineapple and fruit a lot, and little to no funk. It was good but I would have liked some funk. Looks like it finished at 1.009.
Gimme oysters and beer (and Durian) for dinner every day of the year...
mike____

Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:12 pm

Missed the window for properly spunding my Munich Dunkel, so I took a shot at fermenter priming, then racking to the keg after activity was visible. We shall see how it works out.

Totally sold on hot side low oxygen process, but packaging is still up for debate.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:20 pm

I think I'm in the same place. I have been somewhat more lazy about my kegging practices, just purging the keg with CO2 and then racking into it while fermenting (or primed with sugar) and things seem to have been coming out very nice. It seems like, with the active yeast, it should be quite tolerant to some small oxygen pickup during the transfer unless you were planning to store it for a year or something. Mine never last that long for sure.
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:14 pm

Been really trying to catch the spund lately and have actually nailed it the last two batches. What a fast turnaround for carbonation and final gravity reaching compared to fermenter priming.

Anywhoooo, brewed up a German Pils today. Hoppy, fresh, and dry is the hopes.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:13 pm

I also found that when I added sugar to the beer when transferring that it took roughly a week to 10 days to get finished up, while when I transferred with 5 points left and didn't add anything it finished in 3 or 4 days.

My Ultra pilsner (ultra hops) is just about ready to drink, I figure I'll give it a couple weeks to lager before I test it out but the sample I pulled was delightful.
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Previous

Return to All Grain Brewing