Re: how long will starter last?

Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:28 am

I put my starter in the fridge Monday. I was able to brew yesterday after work. I just pulled the starter out and decanted it as I was heating strike water. I finally got aerate and pitch about 1:00 this morning. When I left for work around 9:30 the airlock looked like it had shifted a little bit, but nothing too exciting. Hopefully when I get home it will be going strong. Thanks for the tips!! I will follow up in a couple of days.
"The word unblowupable is tossed around a lot these days..."
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:28 pm

Ozwald wrote:And kitties are to be petted, not skinned.
Even when they try to eat you.

Does Ninkasi just tolerate (as in not eat :D ) the other cat?
I know you're constantly running for your life, but that's a whole other issue! :toi
Gimme oysters and beer (and Durian) for dinner every day of the year...
mike____

Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:58 am

When I got home last night it was bubbling away. I checked again last night and it was still going strong. The Krausen is about 2.5"'high. :jnj
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:38 am

mike____ wrote:Does Ninkasi just tolerate (as in not eat :D ) the other cat?
I know you're constantly running for your life, but that's a whole other issue! :toi

He *loves* her. He tries to cuddle with her all the time. If he's out in the kennel for more than a few hours, he searches for her the minute he comes in. She's kind of an old bitch so she would rather be left alone most of the time, but she tolerates him.

bazookazilla wrote:I put my starter in the fridge Monday. I was able to brew yesterday after work. I just pulled the starter out and decanted it as I was heating strike water. I finally got aerate and pitch about 1:00 this morning. When I left for work around 9:30 the airlock looked like it had shifted a little bit, but nothing too exciting. Hopefully when I get home it will be going strong. Thanks for the tips!! I will follow up in a couple of days.

Did you give it any wort before pitching, or just pitch as-is?
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:29 am

Ozwald wrote:
Did you give it any wort before pitching, or just pitch as-is?

I let it come up to 60F and, gave it a good swirl and pitched as is.
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:56 pm

Ozwald wrote:
brewinhard wrote:

I would much rather pitch late in the high krausen window than have wort sitting at 60-70F for a few hours.

I think if your sanitation is good, that leaving a carboy at 60-70F for a few hours would not be a huge deal if pitching at a later time. And the good thing about this 2nd method is if fresh wort from your batch is used to "wake" up your previously made starter to high krausen that it only really takes a few hours at best to hit this point. So, by the time you are cleaned up from your brew day you would probably be pitching that starter at peak 2 hrs at most after cleanup.

In fact, the last lager I made took me a good 5-6 hrs to get it cooled down to 48F before I could pitch my starter. No issues with fermentation, and the final product was great. I think a lot of brewers employ this method that live in warmer areas and can't get their wort chilled down to proper temps from warmer ground water with no issues.

Granted a good health, vital pitch, sanitary procedures, and proper aeration are crucial for best results.
BTW, Ninkasi looks healthy as ever!
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Fermentation